Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: E46 M3 Susepnsion

Hello All,

I am brand new to this forum after M3 forums got shut down sadly. I have never posted or dealt with forums before so I apologize in advance(first post ever).
    I have an e46 M3 and I plan to build the engine out (NA) but I also need help with suspension. This car will mainly focus on being a track/weekend car and I would like the most race-style suspension setup possible. While that does sound very bad what I mainly intend with this suspension is to have a hardcore suspension setup that I can go on spirited drives and track days. I don't have a need for comfort, Id rather has a better performing setup. Here are some parts I'm thinking about, any help or information is greatly appreciated since I'm still very new.

The entire chassis will be reinforced with a custom homemade roll cage (I work with a steel fabrication company)
    I would like to run 2-way coils. with a true rear Coilover setup- Motons? AST? Ohlins? etc
    Millway Motorsport entire suspension set up-front, rear upper, rear lower; any information on them? has anyone run them? I've seen an e30 M3 run them, but not an e46 m3
    Spherical bushing all throughout with solid Tranny, Engine, and Diff bushings
    CSL Spindles (King Pins)
    Any other reinforcement beside subframe
    and finally, I'm not sure what sway bars (csl sways maybe? or adjuatble)
    Turner Race camber plates
    Anything else to consider?

Sorry about the long post, any information would be greatly appreciated and a big thank you for setting up a new forum!
    Anthony

I built my E46M3 for similar use: optimized suspension for track with spirited weekend drives, no consideration for comfort.
    Here's what I did after subframe reinforcement, bigger CSF oil cooler, bigger CSF radiator.
    Poly Bushings: FCA, lollipops, RCA, engine mounts, tranny mounts.
    Turner Adjustable Lower Control Arms
    Hotchkiss 30mm front adjustable swaybar set on medium to dial out understeer
    18x9.5 Apex ARC8 square to dial out understeer and rotate tires

I've been through 3 different suspensions in 4 years of ownership:
    1. PO installed Dinan which I found too soft for serious track use so sold it
    2. I installed TCK S/A Koni and camber plates with 550/600 springs which I was happy with for 2 years
    3. With slicks, needed higher spring rate so installed custom valved GC Koni Sports, GC camber plates and 600/750 Eibach springs
    4. Good track alignment and aggressive camber (-3.5F/-2.5R)
    The car now corners flat and is still tolerable on the street. There are better suspensions like MCS but I'm happy with the bang for the buck with this set-up.

Comment

Working...
    X