Michelin tire alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michelin tire alternatives

As some of you may know Michelin is experiencing heavy back orders. They also discontinued a plethora of different sizes. This effects the e46 M3 for those who run 265/30/19 and 275/30/19.

The only tire which would be available is Pilot sport 4S but there’s a 4-6 week back order. The rep from michelin direct told me that it may go longer as the Michelin Pilot sport 5s are coming out but won’t be available in 275/30/19 and 265/30/19.

I have BBS LM on order and they’re scheduled to arrive at the very beginning of April.

I was thinking continental dws 06 plus all season. They’re priced right and I can run them for this season until Michelin is back up on their feet orderwise.

Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

I would pick up used tires to get you to the point the michelins come back around.

Comment

DWS 06 couldn't hope to compare to a PS4. They're uper quiet and good in the rain but that's it. They break loose without any warning and do it quite easily. Just don't push the car too hard and it'll be fine
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
        I would pick up used tires to get you to the point the michelins come back around.
        Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been lucky with the fronts but even used rears are hard to come by. The rears I do find don’t match the fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
          DWS 06 couldn't hope to compare to a PS4. They're uper quiet and good in the rain but that's it. They break loose without any warning and do it quite easily. Just don't push the car too hard and it'll be fine
          Thank you for this. How would the DWS 06 be on the street with some spirited driving? Something I should be concerned about ? I definitely won’t be tracking with these tires.

Comment

Originally posted by geee428 View Post

Thank you for this. How would the DWS 06 be on the street with some spirited driving? Something I should be concerned about ? I definitely won’t be tracking with these tires.

I never tracked the DWS 06. After about 2000 miles on the tire, it was like 30% of the grip went missing. The tread is stil at around 7mm or so. After they broke loose on me without warning, I switched them for PS4s. Those have 5000 miles and 95% of the grip. The wear is also better.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
              What pressures were you running on the DWS 06? They’re not the grippiest tires but I wouldn’t say they’re snappy.

Comment

OP, why are you even considering Continental DWS when you're looking at stuffs in the realm of PS4? Why not consider Continental ExtremeContact Sport, which is much closer in performance to those Michelins?

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

What pressures were you running on the DWS 06? They’re not the grippiest tires but I wouldn’t say they’re snappy.
                  The 32, 35 on the door. I run 41 and 48 on the PS4s and the grip is phenomenal with less contact patch. Most of my drive is highways now whereas when I had the DWS 06s, it was country roads.

Comment

Originally posted by geee428 View Post
                    They’re fine for everything except str8 hooning. I’ve used them for years. They perform to 85% of the max performance summer tires from Conti and Michelin, and better in the wet + quieter as they age. So here again, unless you’re driving the car at the limits… By the same token, if you’re not concerned with rain or sleet this spring, you may as well get summers.

They handle my +4300lb, +550hp/tq S55 coming out of apex (285/35/19x9.5) and I’ve never had problems in this car (although I have the extra Vert weight helping back there).

maw
                    Last edited by maw1124; 03-07-2022, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
                      OP, why are you even considering Continental DWS when you're looking at stuffs in the realm of PS4? Why not consider Continental ExtremeContact Sport, which is much closer in performance to those Michelins?
                      Seconding this. DWS is not apples-to-apples with PS4. Honestly go on Tire Rack and search the same category as PS4 and pick something from Continental, Yokohama or Bridgestone and you'll be fine. I had a good experience with the Kuhmo PS91 which falls in the same category but I understand this is on the budget-end of the spectrum so I won't say they compare as well with the PS4. I ended up replacing mine with PS4s when the PS91 wore out.

I had DWS, then PS91, now PS4s on my car so I speak from direct experience.
                      Last edited by Albino09; 03-07-2022, 06:57 AM.
                      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Continental premiered a new sport contact 7, witch in tests are beter than ps4s

Comment

Originally posted by Santino View Post
                          Continental premiered a new sport contact 7, witch in tests are beter than ps4s
                          So what, ps5s is coming out
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Dunno what size your LMs are, but if you kind of don't care and just need tires that are "pretty good still" (doubt this is you) get the Contis or Firehawk Indy.

If you want a really aggressive summer tire, you can get Cup 2s.

Also Tire Rack does have 225, 235, 255 and 265 PS4s in stock, ready to ship...
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Continental wins the day, Ultra High Performance Tire Test & Ranking.
                              Last edited by grannyknot; 03-07-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X