Quick Shift Knob Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Shift Knob Rant

Two years ago, I rebuilt my shifter assembly with the ECS kit. With that I decided to try out a different knob, first I tried a BMW performance knob - it was too small and too heavy. I got rid of it and got a ZHP knob. It was fine but just felt too short and too heavy.

I recently picked up the OE shift knob (broomstick?), it is just perfect. The shifts are smoother, and the overall feel is improved.

Just wanted to share that here. And yes. I’m sure snarky comments will follow
    Last edited by 02_lsb; 03-07-2022, 04:07 AM.
    Just some old shitty cars.

Stock shifter arm in both cases, or performance BMW arm (shorter throw)? I'm currently on BMW performance short shifter arm with F10 M5 illuminated knob. I like the knob, idk if I like the bmw short shifter though.

If you're just talking about knobs, I wonder where the F10 M5 knob fits in to what you've tried? I'd imagine similar to the ZHP knob? It doesn't feel heavy to me fwiw.

I think that next time my trans is out I'm either going back to the fully stock length shifter arm or a 0% AS SSK. Not sure which. But would like to stick with the F10 knob.
    Last edited by ATB88; 03-07-2022, 04:54 AM.

Comment

the stock broom stick knob feels best imo, but is just so ugly i cant get myself to run it

i've settled on an f10 illuminated knob with a custom AS 20% kit (1" taller than their normal setup). it sits higher than a stock shifter/broomstick knob

Comment

Wait till you try the weighted stock knob (M performance)
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I bought an E30 M3 Evo weighted shift knob and had it recovered in alcantara to match the E46 shift boot stitch pattern (8 and 4 o'clock). All else stock, it feels pretty good while sitting taller than the ZHP weighted version, and I prefer the mushroom shape.

5 - E28, E34, E39. 3 - E21, E30, E36, E46. Material: - Black high quality genuine leather. - Oem emblem with BMW M-Technic 5 speed logo. One piece gear shift knob (push-in type). Part number25111221284.

2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
            Stock shifter arm in both cases, or performance BMW arm (shorter throw)? I'm currently on BMW performance short shifter arm with F10 M5 illuminated knob. I like the knob, idk if I like the bmw short shifter though.

If you're just talking about knobs, I wonder where the F10 M5 knob fits in to what you've tried? I'd imagine similar to the ZHP knob? It doesn't feel heavy to me fwiw.

I think that next time my trans is out I'm either going back to the fully stock length shifter arm or a 0% AS SSK. Not sure which. But would like to stick with the F10 knob.
            All stock. ECS rebuild kit.
            Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

IIRC, the 330D is also a good alternative. I think it's illuminated as well.

Comment

Working...
              X