Stretched and rattling timing chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stretched and rattling timing chain

I've tried to find some posts on how to diagnose/what a stretched timing chain looks like.. not had any luck.

Is it something that can be easily seen with the valve cover off? I.e. would the chain lift easily if the upper horizontal chain guide was removed?

What would it sound like, would it be an apparent rattle at idle or would it only be noticed at revs? Anyone any example videos? - seen some on YouTube but not sure what is referenced to chain rattle or not...

I'm now chasing a weird flutter on revs of the engine, used to think it was a wheel bearing but it's got louder and more easy to hear now and it disappears when I coast out of gear at speed ..

I do also recall that when I attached the splines with reverse thread (exuahst and intake) to the vanos I only hand spun them on, never tightened them with any spanners, could that be potentially an issue and causing the noise? Should I open it up and nip them up?

Generally the S54 does not have any issues with timing chain stretch. Also reverse threads self tighten when the engine spins. I wouldn't worry about that those. Any more detail on what you mean by "flutter". Is that just a noise or is that unexpected reving?

Comment

Remove the chain tensioner and use a rod to push the chain guide firmly in. Measure the rod length from lip of threaded hole to tip. Compare this length to the chain tensioner and see where is the tension piston to match the rod length. IF the piston has to extended far out then chain is stretched too far. But I don't know what is the normal working length of the piston. Before doing this, turn the crank CW, front view, to take out all slack on the pulling side.

Comment

You're guessing it's the chain?
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

If you want to know if it's chain slap, look up an N20 with a stretched chain. It's highly unlikely the chain because it's double linked and they typically don't have that issue. Normal cars have a single link which are just as prone to stretching as a belt, just not to rotting.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
          X