Upgrades during head job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrades during head job?

So I finally got a chance to start my M3 again, turns out the head gasket is bad which I suspected from the get-go. I was just hoping for some tips and opinions on what I should be upgrading while doing the head gasket. Valves, cams, etc. I plan to keep going with an N/A build so not really planning on boost at this point.

Thanks for any input and suggestions, this is my first time doing head stuff on an S54.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Two hands? Haha...sorry. Couldn't resist.

The S54 head is already optimized from the factory. Other than VANOS rebuild, cams, and new parts...not much else.

Comment

Do you have aftermarket headers? If so consider porting the exhaust side.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm kinda relieved because I have so much other stuff to do. 😅

Comment

The stock heads actually flow very well. They’re actually better than fully ported RB heads and 2JZ heads. With that said you could do some porting in the exhaust side. If you’re keeping it NA I wouldn’t worry about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cglhut View Post
            The stock heads actually flow very well. They’re actually better than fully ported RB heads and 2JZ heads. With that said you could do some porting in the exhaust side. If you’re keeping it NA I wouldn’t worry about it though.
            Yerp, the factory head flows extremely well in stock form. Porting is for guys looking to extract every last bit of power from an S54, and is probably worth around another 8-12 HP max. Two other things to consider that cost a bit less than porting, and offer better bang for the buck are bowl work, and a good multi-angle valve job. GL!

Comment

Definitely going to see if the machine shop can do some porting and polishing. Unfortunately they said my head is too low to cut but did it anyways so I'm going to YOLO send it.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                Definitely going to see if the machine shop can do some porting and polishing. Unfortunately they said my head is too low to cut but did it anyways so I'm going to YOLO send it.
                Again, I would recommend passing on the port work, and concentrating on the bowl work/combustion chambers, and performing a quality multi-angle valve job! You can do more harm than good if you port too aggressively!😉
                Last edited by stash1; 04-06-2022, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X