Racingdiffs tolerance issue and contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Whats the breakaway torque range for a healthy OEM LSD?
    I’ve never seen a figure or spec. The units I’ve assembled have been 50-70 ft/lbs. it. It takes some force. I’ve never checked it before I took the unit apart.

Probably a step I should add. Still relatively new to this. I’ve done a couple of LSD carrier and bearing changes. I did have to re-shim one carrier. I also swapped in my 3.73 and 3.91 R&P. Thankfully haven’t had to screw with a pinion shim yet. So it’s been interesting and kinda fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I’ve never seen a figure or spec. The units I’ve assembled have been 50-70 ft/lbs. it. It takes some force. I’ve never checked it before I took the unit apart.

Probably a step I should add. Still relatively new to this. I’ve done a couple of LSD carrier and bearing changes. I did have to re-shim one carrier. I also swapped in my 3.73 and 3.91 R&P. Thankfully haven’t had to screw with a pinion shim yet. So it’s been interesting and kinda fun.

Thanks! I’m thinking of testing it by putting a troque wrench on the axle nut after jacking up one side of the car with the ebrake off and trans in neutral (wheels chocked).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Off topic for this thread but figured I would post this here.

I measured the breakaway torque on our 98k mile LSD at 43 ft-lb. The following is what I did to measure it:
        1. Trans in neutral.
        2. Chocked passenger side rear wheel front and rear.
        3. Disengaged e-brake.
        4. Lifted driver side rear wheel.
        5. Removed wheel (had wheel end caps on covering axle nut)
        6. Put 36mm socket on axle nut with torque wrench and adjusted torque until wrench clicked and axle didn't turn.

So not 100% healthy diff but not bad for 98k miles with mostly track usage under my and previous owners ownership. I have seen some videos where the opposing wheel will just spin freely.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Off topic for this thread but figured I would post this here.

I measured the breakaway torque on our 98k mile LSD at 43 ft-lb. The following is what I did to measure it:
          1. Trans in neutral.
          2. Chocked passenger side rear wheel front and rear.
          3. Disengaged e-brake.
          4. Lifted driver side rear wheel.
          5. Removed wheel (had wheel end caps on covering axle nut)
          6. Put 36mm socket on axle nut with torque wrench and adjusted torque until wrench clicked and axle didn't turn.

So not 100% healthy diff but not bad for 98k miles with mostly track usage under my and previous owners ownership. I have seen some videos where the opposing wheel will just spin freely.
          Interesting. I’d bet that heavily tracked cars have less wear in the diff.

Comment

DO NOT BUY NOTHING FROM RACING DIFF

Sorry for my bad English.
            I had bad experience with racingdiffs, I'll explain everything below..
            I emailed the company to make sure I was buying the correct kit for my machine. They send me the link with correct kit (273 euros). DHL arrives at my house with the kit and asks me for 78 euros in customs duties. So far, so good.
            I take the car to the mechanic to have the kit installed and we realize it's not the correct one.
            With the differential open and the car stopped, I decided to buy another differential in the recovery field to be able to use the machine. In the meantime with my differential open I contacted racingdiffs and they replied that I had the wrong kit in hand (they had suggested it to me).
            They washed their hands and only refunded me 38 euros. They tell me that if I want to install the correct kit they'll discount it for a total of 120 euros, I accept. So far, so good.
            When the package arrives, I go to the mechanic to assemble the kit (he was inserting the oil recommended by racingdiffs).
            AFTER ONLY 15.000KM I'M ON THE ROAD AND I'M STILL ON FOOT, the car doesn't move anymore. RESULT: DIFFERENTIAL WRAPS, COMPLETELY DESTROYED INSIDE.
            Tow truck, mechanic reinstalling my original differential (which I had bought in addition). I ask racingdiffs for a partial refund for what happened and he replies that it's been more than 6 months and they would not refund even one euro. After a few emails he doesn't even answer me anymore.

Summing up, I bought 2 LSD kits, an extra differential, I paid for a mechanic and a tow truck. For what? To have the original car again. And all this money completely thrown in the toilet.​

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo91 View Post

Sorry for my bad English.
              I had bad experience with racingdiffs, I'll explain everything below..
              I emailed the company to make sure I was buying the correct kit for my machine. They send me the link with correct kit (273 euros). DHL arrives at my house with the kit and asks me for 78 euros in customs duties. So far, so good.
              I take the car to the mechanic to have the kit installed and we realize it's not the correct one.
              With the differential open and the car stopped, I decided to buy another differential in the recovery field to be able to use the machine. In the meantime with my differential open I contacted racingdiffs and they replied that I had the wrong kit in hand (they had suggested it to me).
              They washed their hands and only refunded me 38 euros. They tell me that if I want to install the correct kit they'll discount it for a total of 120 euros, I accept. So far, so good.
              When the package arrives, I go to the mechanic to assemble the kit (he was inserting the oil recommended by racingdiffs).
              AFTER ONLY 15.000KM I'M ON THE ROAD AND I'M STILL ON FOOT, the car doesn't move anymore. RESULT: DIFFERENTIAL WRAPS, COMPLETELY DESTROYED INSIDE.
              Tow truck, mechanic reinstalling my original differential (which I had bought in addition). I ask racingdiffs for a partial refund for what happened and he replies that it's been more than 6 months and they would not refund even one euro. After a few emails he doesn't even answer me anymore.

Summing up, I bought 2 LSD kits, an extra differential, I paid for a mechanic and a tow truck. For what? To have the original car again. And all this money completely thrown in the toilet.​
              Looks like you tried to do a cheap LSD and got cheap LSD results. Surprised?

Comment

Just about to order the racing diffs advanced kit. Unfortunately unless I want a full rebuild unit from diffs online for 1500 USD, there does not seem to be any other option for new clutch packs.

Comment

I also ordered a basic kit from them during their christmas sale (30% off I believe it is over now), it seems the experience is mixed with these so I'm just gonna hope for the best and see what happens.

I think the consensus is that for a V1 rebuild kit it's a good value option.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo91 View Post

Summing up, I bought 2 LSD kits, an extra differential, I paid for a mechanic and a tow truck. For what? To have the original car again. And all this money completely thrown in the toilet.​.​
                    The pics show it is not an E46 M3 Diff; an open diff cheaply converted to LSD with the bogus clamp bolts!!!!

Comment

I'm going to be finally getting back to installing my 4.10 diff with all bearings/clutches from racingdiffs over the next few weeks (been running backup diff), so I'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Enfield View Post
                        Just about to order the racing diffs advanced kit. Unfortunately unless I want a full rebuild unit from diffs online for 1500 USD, there does not seem to be any other option for new clutch packs.

Dan sells clutches and has various kits:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

They might have given you extra clutches, I accidentally ordered the one with more clutches. I removed the extra clutches and it assembled fine.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                            They might have given you extra clutches, I accidentally ordered the one with more clutches. I removed the extra clutches and it assembled fine.
                            Any updates, thinking about buying their stuff.

Comment

Can't speak to their product as I haven't installed yet. But I will say I'm a little frustrated with their customer service.

They are currently running a 30% "discount" but tbh it seems like this is just the price of the kit. They had the same discount over Christmas but it was not noted anywhere. The sale ended after Christmas and the price returned to the full 398euro I emailed them asking why the price had changed and if I could order at the discounted price since I would have ordered while the discount was running if I had realized it was temporary. They told me that it was the christmas sale price and it would not be returning to that price. They also said they could not price match it once the sale was over so the best they could do was offer a one time paypal purchase for me at 328euro. I decided that I would just go with that since it was better than nothing.

Less than a week after I paid the invoice, a different 30% discount returned (the one currently active). So they told me the price would not return, I paid more, the price did end up returning in the form of a new 30% discount. Frustrating since they could have just said when I emailed that a 30% discount would be reinstated in literally a week but not a huge deal, maybe a miscommunication or something. Except I've emailed them a couple times over the last week or two asking if they could refund the difference between the cost I paid and the current price, and radio silence. Previously they had replied to my emails within 24 hours, but I have heard nothing since asking for the partial refund. Feels a little bit like they are dodging my emails.

I'm hesitant to drag them over the coals, maybe the emails just got lost or have to go through a different process for refunds or something but still, a bit shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                                Can't speak to their product as I haven't installed yet. But I will say I'm a little frustrated with their customer service.

They are currently running a 30% "discount" but tbh it seems like this is just the price of the kit. They had the same discount over Christmas but it was not noted anywhere. The sale ended after Christmas and the price returned to the full 398euro I emailed them asking why the price had changed and if I could order at the discounted price since I would have ordered while the discount was running if I had realized it was temporary. They told me that it was the christmas sale price and it would not be returning to that price. They also said they could not price match it once the sale was over so the best they could do was offer a one time paypal purchase for me at 328euro. I decided that I would just go with that since it was better than nothing.

Less than a week after I paid the invoice, a different 30% discount returned (the one currently active). So they told me the price would not return, I paid more, the price did end up returning in the form of a new 30% discount. Frustrating since they could have just said when I emailed that a 30% discount would be reinstated in literally a week but not a huge deal, maybe a miscommunication or something. Except I've emailed them a couple times over the last week or two asking if they could refund the difference between the cost I paid and the current price, and radio silence. Previously they had replied to my emails within 24 hours, but I have heard nothing since asking for the partial refund. Feels a little bit like they are dodging my emails.

I'm hesitant to drag them over the coals, maybe the emails just got lost or have to go through a different process for refunds or something but still, a bit shit.
                                Can't you ask Paypal to cancel the order and repurchase a new kit at the discounted price? Based on the other posts, It doesn't surprise me that they are not responding to your inquiry.

Comment

Working...
                                X