Upgrading headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading headers

Just a quick question for those who have done it... I've currently got Euro headers and been running them for a couple years now. I've got a chance to upgrade to SSv1+ race cats (or catless section 1 I already have sitting in my garage.) Just wondering if it's worth it in terms of power/sound to switch the Euro setup for the SSv1? I found an old dyno from M3forum.net showing someone gaining 24ish whp in the top end of the rev range but has anyone else experienced this as well? It would cost me roughly $1-2k to upgrade after selling my setup.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

I’ve run both in the same car. I’m not sure you’ll see that big of a jump but you will definitely see a performance improvement over the euro setup.

The SS cats are exceptional and flow extremely well. Ive done back to back dyno runs with and without SS cats and there was basically no power loss (also very little sound impact).

Comment

everybody has a different tolerance for diminishing returns

i've got the supporting mods that would really benefit from a freer breathing SS setup (carbon airbox/cams) but running Euro Headers/Cats in california guarantees less grief every 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
        everybody has a different tolerance for diminishing returns

i've got the supporting mods that would really benefit from a freer breathing SS setup (carbon airbox/cams) but running Euro Headers/Cats in california guarantees less grief every 2 years
        I was also thinking of upgrading my SS resonated section 2 to the bigger twin tube. Is it possible to plug rear cats into SS cats and have monitors go ready? As long as monitors go ready I can pass smog.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I was also thinking of upgrading my SS resonated section 2 to the bigger twin tube. Is it possible to plug rear cats into SS cats and have monitors go ready? As long as monitors go ready I can pass smog.
          I assume you means O2's, most definitely possible.

I re-routed my post cat O2's & EGT down the driver's side to reach my euro sec. 1 because I didn't know how to use any coding software at the time and didn't want a CEL.

I currently have the post cat O2s off, but before I did so they did not trigger a CEL even after I switched over the Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1.Sec. So they should show as ready and not ping any dash lights, that was the case with mine anyhow.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I assume you means O2's, most definitely possible.

I re-routed my post cat O2's & EGT down the driver's side to reach my euro sec. 1 because I didn't know how to use any coding software at the time and didn't want a CEL.

I currently have the post cat O2s off, but before I did so they did not trigger a CEL even after I switched over the Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1.Sec. So they should show as ready and not ping any dash lights, that was the case with mine anyhow.
            Thank you very much for the firsthand info, really helps when deciding how to live with them long term. And yes I meant to write "rear o2 for cats."

Comment

I installed supersprint stepped manifolds as a part of my s54 build last year (I think they're v1's).

Made a very noticeable difference in sound. Much deeper.

As for power - I'm sure it made a difference, however I wasn't able to do a before/after dyno run to compare the euro-to-ss setup.

Fyi, my exhaust setup; SS Stepped V1's, section 1 twin 2 1/4" (with twin bottle-style resonators; no cats), section 2 3" x-pipe, section 2 SS Race.

Comment

Just a quick question for those who have done it... I've currently got Euro headers and been running them for a couple years now. I've got a chance to upgrade to SSv1+ race cats (or catless section 1 I already have sitting in my garage.) Just wondering if it's worth it in terms of power/sound to switch the Euro setup for the SSv1? I found an old dyno from M3forum.net showing someone gaining 24ish whp in the top end of the rev range but has anyone else experienced this as well? It would cost me roughly $1-2k to upgrade after selling my setup.
                TOFTT

get your current setup tuned optimally, then install SSV1 and retune and post the delta. That will go a ways to end the conjecture. If you can log various things like IAT, delivered ignition timing, ECT etc to make sure there are no other influences.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

TOFTT

get your current setup tuned optimally, then install SSV1 and retune and post the delta. That will go a ways to end the conjecture. If you can log various things like IAT, delivered ignition timing, ECT etc to make sure there are no other influences.
                  Yep that is the plan. I will dyno at EAS with my current setup and tune dialed in. Then I'llgo backafter I install SSv1 and twin tube section 2. HTE will be tuning it.

Comment

Yep that is the plan. I will dyno at EAS with my current setup and tune dialed in. Then I'llgo backafter I install SSv1 and twin tube section 2. HTE will be tuning it.
                    This is a good plan.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Props to you for doing all that. Should be interesting to see the results between the two

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                        I installed supersprint stepped manifolds as a part of my s54 build last year (I think they're v1's).

Made a very noticeable difference in sound. Much deeper.

As for power - I'm sure it made a difference, however I wasn't able to do a before/after dyno run to compare the euro-to-ss setup.

Fyi, my exhaust setup; SS Stepped V1's, section 1 twin 2 1/4" (with twin bottle-style resonators; no cats), section 2 3" x-pipe, section 2 SS Race.
                        I believe that you can only fit the V1 header specific (2 1/2" Section I) pipes if I'm not mistaken? If you somehow managed to fit 2 1/4' pipes, you're leaving a little power on the table. Also, I'd lose that single 3" Section II pipe as well.😉
                        Last edited by stash1; 04-12-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

V2s, if they're stepped.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

I believe that you can only fit the V1 header specific (2 1/2" Section I) pipes if I'm not mistaken? If you somehow managed to fit 2 1/4' pipes, you're leaving a little power on the table. Also, I'd lose that single 3" Section II pipe as well.😉
                            Why lose the 3” section 2? I have the same section 2 with stock headers and section 1. I would like to understand the differences/ benefits as I intended to get V1s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Keep the 3" sect 2 if you live from 5k to 8k on the track. Otherwise, you'll be giving up quite a lot of midrange to the factory piece or even moreso, the SS 2.5" dual piece.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                              X