Tire sidewall Question - Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire sidewall Question - Tracking

My new stock e46 M3 track car has its first event at the end of the month. Came with a fairly used set of continental extreme sports i will go through in the mean time.

Once they are done i am looking at doing a set of Hankook RS4 on my 19" comp wheels.
    However there is one aspect to E46 tire setup that i am unsure about.

The tire sidewalls seem to be off 5 for normal setups.. (Ie. 40 front and 35 rear)
    When i look at hankooks selection for 19" wheels. All i see available are 275/35 and 245/35. No side wall differences available.

Will these tires work out ok for a track car/setup? Or are the RS4 going to be a no go with no side wall option? How crucial is the side wall here?
    I read a few posts about how DSC can get twitchy, however i run that off 95% of the time in this car. Also read about how rolling diameter should match. yada, yada. Chassis is brand new to me and just trying to figure things out.

Planning on doing the normal 18x9.5 et35 square setup eventually, would run a different tire than RS4 at that point. Also need coilovers to get correct fitment. Car is brand new and seat time is more important than mods atm.

Welcome to the track addiction. I would try and get the tallest sidewall you can while staying close to the stock tire diameter. ZCP stock tire diameter is approx 26". As long as you are within a tenth of an inch front to rear should be okay.

The sidewall itself acts as a spring, When I first got my car it came with the comp 19 sizes. I quickly switched to 18s. The tire choices in 19s are very limiting.

Comment

Agreed-- if you're going to be tracking, you really just need to get off the 19s.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Can you all just answer the question. I just bought the car. If I had $7k laying around to get the tire/suspension setup i want now and not later then i would. This is a short term solution so i can get 5 or 6 events in the next 4 months. As i am ready to purchase everything else then it will come. I have an fully tracked out f80. Coming from that i didnt have to worry about sidewall difference for my track setup.

"Will these tires work out ok for a track car/setup? Or are the RS4 going to be a no go with no side wall option? (only 35 made for 19) How crucial is the side wall here?"

Comment

Originally posted by Driver407 View Post
          Can you all just answer the question. I just bought the car. If I had $7k laying around to get the tire/suspension setup i want now and not later then i would. This is a short term solution so i can get 5 or 6 events in the next 4 months. As i am ready to purchase everything else then it will come. I have an fully tracked out f80. Coming from that i didnt have to worry about sidewall difference for my track setup.

"Will these tires work out ok for a track car/setup? Or are the RS4 going to be a no go with no side wall option? (only 35 made for 19) How crucial is the side wall here?"
          If the tires fit on the car they will still work on the race track. The sizes you propose are nearly an inch different in diameter. I wouldn’t run them but its not like they are going to explode or anything.

Good luck.

Comment

What's the saying... 18's for go, 19's for show...

Comment

You are getting good advice. Try to not reject the point of it. And no-one told you that you should replace the suspension AND tires right off.

Personally, I'd drive the "fully tracked out f80" before I'd track 19" low profiles. You can do it - but it isn't the better choice - especially if you already have a car set up for the track. Assuming you go the less-preferable 19" route - stay off the curbs and curb seams. They can be hell on low-profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

You are getting good advice. Try to not reject the point of it.

Personally, I'd drive the "fully tracked out f80" before I'd track 19" low profiles. You can do it - but it isn't the better choice - especially if you already have a car set up for the track. Assuming you go the less-preferable 19" route - stay off the curbs and curb seams. They can be hell on low-profiles.
                Naw man. Hit those curbs hard on 19s, bend the rims, then buy 18s!

Comment

A square set of rear OE 18s is a low cost option that will fit the usual 265/35/18 track day tire.

Comment

Since you live in CA, I'd think you could find a used set of 18s (maybe even with appropriate tires) for cheap. Sell the 19s to offset the cost.

But you didn't ask about that.

If I was strictly and temporarily tracking stock 19s, I would get a set of Continental ExtremeContacts in the stock sizes.
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

You all really like to detour from the topic asked. Im not trying to be snarky but the question at hand is being completely ignored for the most part. Maybe one of the responses actually addressed the issue directly. All this debate on tire sizes and what not are not on topic and not at all the info requested.

-Not asking for advice on what size wheels to get
                      -Not asking for advice on other tire brands and compounds
                      -Not asking for advice on selling 19's and obtaining 18's
                      -Clearly stated in the first post that i am moving towards the correct setup and only focused on short term.
                      -Of course the tires are going to fit on wheels. I am trying to understand what the tradeoff is related to sidewall difference and whether that would have a drastic enough effect to stear away.

All i am concerned about is if specifically the Hankook RS4 would be an approriate tire given the limited sidewall options from manufacturer.

I have many other potential tires already in mind. This is the one i am concentrated and questioning at this time. If the answer to my question is, No that is not the best option given sidewall issues. Then so be it, i will move on and choose another compound. But i am only focused on this exact question.

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

You are getting good advice. Try to not reject the point of it. And no-one told you that you should replace the suspension AND tires right off.

In order to fit 18x9.5 et35 it requires camber for correct fitment. So in reality yes, i do need to replace both wheels and suspension. Im not just getting camber plates, so coilover and wheels are required at the same time.

Ive been tracking my F80 for 3 years, the entire point of buying a e46 was to have a dedicated track car. The upcoming event is the first one for e46. Tracking the F80 is business as usual. When i want to track my daily/f80 then i will.
                      Last edited by Driver407; 04-15-2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

All i am concerned about is if specifically the Hankook RS4 would be an approriate tire given the limited sidewall options from manufacturer.
                        No.

But they will get you out there. Depends on your definition of "appropriate"

Perhaps you should read about tire sizing. Based on your posts, I'm not sure you understand what the numbers mean.
                        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

You all really like to detour from the topic asked. Im not trying to be snarky but the question at hand is being completely ignored for the most part. Maybe one of the responses actually addressed the issue directly. All this debate on tire sizes and what not are not on topic and not at all the info requested.

-Clearly stated in the first post that i am moving towards the correct setup and only focused on short term.
                          -Of course the tires are going to fit on wheels. I am trying to understand what the tradeoff is related to sidewall difference and whether that would have a drastic enough effect to stear away.

I have many other potential tires already in mind. This is the one i am concentrated and questioning at this time. If the answer to my question is, No that is not the best option given sidewall issues. Then so be it, i will move on and choose another compound. But i am only focused on this exact question.

In order to fit 18x9.5 et35 it requires camber for correct fitment. So in reality yes, i do need to replace both wheels and suspension. Im not just getting camber plates, so coilover and wheels are required at the same time.

Ive been tracking my F80 for 3 years, the entire point of buying a e46 was to have a dedicated track car. The upcoming event is the first one for e46. Tracking the F80 is business as usual. When i want to track my daily/f80 then i will.
                          IMO don’t waste money on 19” RS4s.

Comment

The question faulty.

for the price difference between 18” and 19” track tires, you can buy a used set of 18s. Plus, sell your 19s.

Tracking on 19s just doesn’t work well, even if you find tires in the correct sizes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I would think a 275/35R19 would rub. What doesn’t rub on the street could rub at the track.

You have dynamic camber while cornering which goes positive.

Might work with some modification. The biggest concern is a stud on the inside of the rear wheel wells. That will likely gouge your tire and be unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X