Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an S54 Camshafts DIY on this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an S54 Camshafts DIY on this forum?

[E46] - Head Gasket Complete DIY Guide e46 M3 | The M3cutters
    I'm removing my head and I found the above guide as a general how to, but I'm also installing 280 272 schrick camshafts and I had some questions.

Do I need to adjust my valves differently with these camshafts?

D.I.Y. Instructions for BMW M52tu-M54 Camshaft Replacement | German Auto SolutionsGerman Auto Solutions
    I'm following this guide for the camshaft part because I can't find anything else other than the official bmw service guide that said to remove and replace the shims with the camshafts, and then adjust them after installation. Is this correct procedure or should I measure my shims and put in differently sized ones before I even remove my old cams

I followed this guide when I installed my Schrick cams, though I used the Beisan timing procedure: https://m3support.net/thread/186/e46-m3-cams-diy

I also installed new rocker arms (one of mine was flat), so I took the shims out and replaced with the smallest ones out of the shim kit, and then went through and adjusted to factory clearances. Just got to 500 miles and rechecked and I had a few out of spec but overall seems to be wearing in nicely.

Comment

Working...
    X