Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTR (Street Car) Carbon Fiber Rear Wing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTR (Street Car) Carbon Fiber Rear Wing?

Hi.

I’m wondering why no companies/someone never built a replica of this to fit to our cars. Unless I am missing a place that makes them?

I actually think it’s subtle enough to put on a street car. Plus, I’ve never liked the CSL trunk/boot anyways - I think it makes the rear look like a fin/bubble is sticking out.

I’ve attached a picture of what I am talking about. What do you guys think?

If i had to guess: lack of proven demand for this style, mostly due to the CSL overshadowing the GTR in the public eye and peoples preferences to the CSL trunk.

The carbon mold economics would probably make this a 2,500$ US wing in 10x + quantities I think. You would want this in pre-preg carbon to sustain the aero forces and remain light as it's pretty large.

Comment

Exactly. It's a demand thing. There are dozens of threads on this forum about the CSL boot. This is probably the only one about the GTR wing.
      2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
      ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Yeah I think it primarily has to do with the CSL being well known vs. the less than 10 units of the GTR. (Like you guys said)

The GTR front bumper and rear diffuser are both super ugly but I think there could be a market for this wing.

A ton of people are going to disagree, but the CSL style trunk totally ruins the rear of the car for me… as seen in the attached angle. Just looks out of place to me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
          Yeah I think it primarily has to do with the CSL being well known vs. the less than 10 units of the GTR. (Like you guys said)

The GTR front bumper and rear diffuser are both super ugly but I think there could be a market for this wing.

A ton of people are going to disagree, but the CSL style trunk totally ruins the rear of the car for me… as seen in the attached angle. Just looks out of place to me.
          You can run a wing on the ducktail if you want with these risers & reinforcement plates.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-04-08 at 6.54.33 PM (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.0 KB ID:	166300
          Last edited by Epoustouflant; 05-04-2022, 08:05 AM.

Comment

i actually like that angle, but at minimal, you'd need larger/aggressive wheels and an aggressive bumper to balance out the look of the CSL trunk

agreed that on a non ZCP/CSL car that just running the CSL trunk looks out of place

Comment

I agree with the OP. I have always found it weird no one made these, especially considering how many other crazy, weird and wonderful cosmetic and aftermarket parts for this car there are... full GTR body kit anyone? yet no wing to finish it off available??? I agree the demand might not be as high as the CSL but there is a non-zero amount of people who go down GTR build paths, which is a far larger endeavor than a CSL build so they are clearly passionate. That said, The Clubsport wing (admittedly NLA now...) for the E46 is mighty close to the GTR wing, just not in Carbon or as "tall", so there is a 80ish% close way of achieving the look if you got that wing and Carbon wrapped it (yer I know, I hate wraps too, but just talking cosmetic options here), using available BMW parts, and no one seems to do that, so if not one is committed enough to discover and do that then I guess they would also be unlikely to be committed enough to pay big $$$ for an actual Carbon replica.

Ref for E46 Clubsport wing (for those who may not be aware or have never seen): 51717895560 - E46 Coupe Clubsport Rear Wing | Turner Motorsport

Comment

I agree. I removed a csl trunk from my car and put the factory trunk back on. On OG especially, i think they nailed it from the start. I always wanted an Imola with a csl trunk but now that i have one of my own, i prefer the standard trunk with a lip spoiler

Comment

That wouldn’t be difficult to make except for the uprights. The problem is you’re likely going to have to destroy the original part to take a mold from it.

Or have it 3D scanned and 3D print a plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Motorsport24.de sells GTR body panels, but since they are motorsports/Nurburgring oriented, it seems they opt for a bigger competition wing to go along with the body kit and not the OEM version. Might be a good place to start though. You'll need a google translator open unless you can read German.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-M3-E46-GTR-Bodykit_7942.jpg?zoom=1.5&w=461&h=307&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	167100
                    2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
                    X