Accelerator Pedal Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerator Pedal Code?

Had a little hesitation on acceleration in last week and last night got this code and limp mode. I replaced both throttle position sensors with Genuine BMW ~35K ago. Been great.
    Would this be an accelerator pedal potentiometer going bad? I’m away from home and don’t have my books to look up. Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	43B5E14C-9DCF-4339-BE87-95D138E7483F.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	166686
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Do you have access to BMW-specific scan tools?

I think it's most likely the throttle position sensor(s). For a while I had to replace them annually. Particularly the one by the oil filter

Comment

Thanks Terra.
      PASoft shows this Shadow Code from before. Nothing new after clearing. Granted I have not been pushing it yet,

78 [120] EDK: potentiometer, signal comparison
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Probably a bad gas pedal...it's worth replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
          Thanks Terra.
          PASoft shows this Shadow Code from before. Nothing new after clearing. Granted I have not been pushing it yet,

That's basically saying the two throttle position sensors don't agree. Don't know which one is actually bad. It's not the gas pedal

Comment

See below for reference: the first row are the readings I got from a brand new VNE sensor with BMW logo ground off. You can see how much the values had drifted on the other sensors I had lying around that had gone bad.

Perhaps this will help in narrowing down which sensor it is. If you're getting hesitation in the middle of the gas pedal range then could also be a dead spot on the sensor where you'd see the readout zero out on a multimeter. In my case I would get limp mode at full throttle, when the deviation between the two sensor readings exceeded the acceptable range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=134399&d=1635550298.png
Views:	390
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	167134
            '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
            All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
              I think it's most likely the throttle position sensor(s). For a while I had to replace them annually. Particularly the one by the oil filter
              terra did you determine a reason behind these failing? I have codes 76 (signal, potentiometer, throttle), 78 (signal, potentiometer, throttle), E6 (setpoint/actual value deviation) after my first track day this year. I replaced both TPS about 15 months ago or 15,000 miles, or 20 hours of track time and assumed they weren't part of the problem.

My accelerator pedal is still original as far as I know (170K miles)

Comment

That's basically saying the two throttle position sensors don't agree. Don't know which one is actually bad. It's not the gas pedal
                To update my old posts for someone else. It was the Accelerator Pedal. My TPS’s had been replaced before. They were both still good. Pedal was replaced with new and fixed it all immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                  To update my old posts for someone else. It was the Accelerator Pedal. My TPS’s had been replaced before. They were both still good. Pedal was replaced with new and fixed it all immediately.
                  If those codes were accurate, it will come back. EDK = throttle side, not pedal.

Comment

If those codes were accurate, it will come back. EDK = throttle side, not pedal.
                    Been almost two years. Asked my BMW shop owner friend about the codes and he immediately said it was the accelerator pedal. Said he’s only had one in 16 years go out.

Comment

Working...
                    X