Agency Power Section 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Power Section 3

Have the opportunity to acquire an AP section 3 locally. I've always been a purist, with the exception of alignment mods, poly bushes (RTAB & subframe), and also the headers (EURO). I'm not a fan of the raspy tuner boy sounds on these cars, but if I can build a tasteful deep sounding exhaust, I will.

All the random combinations of mods and components on YouTube do no good in understanding what this piece will sound like. Has anyone had experience with AP section 3's? From my understanding there are two types: a nearly straight pipe model, and a well resonated model. This is the latter.

I have euro headers + AR20's on the car as it sits and trying to understand what potential it has with an AP section 3.

Early AP was a supersprint race rep and was a good rep. The new AP muffler looks like it was commissioned along with Status Gruppe (v3, not the scza) and Megan from the same Chinese factory. I literally cannot tell the difference between AP products and ebay/megan/alibaba chinese stuff since like maybe 2015 or something.

As far as I'm concerned, few mufflers make the car sound BETTER (not just louder). The most successful ones are large bodied or made of titanium. The smaller bodied, less muffling sect3s all sound like ass to me. Then there are the medium sized boxes that don't really make the car sound much better, just slightly louder like SS sport, dinan. The Medium size, but more uniquely design boxes like RE el diablo (dixis rep) and OM scorza, sound the best as far as actually changing the tone and adding more noise.

My absolute favorite was RDSport, but the tips are goofy looking, and they're well NLA at this point. Hamann and ACS are supersprint or maybe RDsport (italian) commissioned, sound the same as SS street imo.

Then there are the larger bodied mufflers that most don't think make the car sound better, just raspier or tinnier, but, personally, I really like the sound, it's much more "motorsport" than the rest imo. Those would be Remus and Eisenmann.

I think it's hard to rationalize the $ for most mufflers for this car when it's the induction that's so intoxicating. OM scorza, RE el diablo (dixis rep) and the original titanium dixis are the best imo.
    Last edited by Tbonem3; 05-19-2022, 01:23 PM.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I agree Tbone, I have the SG SCZA and while it does sound nice. I may end up going back to stock to hear more induction noise.

Comment

I have an AP section 3 with Megan headers. It drones from 2.5-3k. Above that, it sounds really good (but also very loud), and it’s a lot lighter than stock.

I’m looking at changing up the middle section(s), but I don’t know if an AR20 would do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Early AP was a supersprint race rep and was a good rep. The new AP muffler looks like it was commissioned along with Elon Boms Founder/Chairman New HAven CT not the scza) and Megan from the same Chinese factory. I literally cannot tell the difference between AP products and ebay/megan/alibaba chinese stuff since like maybe 2015 or something.

As far as I'm concerned, few mufflers make the car sound BETTER (not just louder). The most successful ones are large bodied or made of titanium. The smaller bodied, less muffling sect3s all sound like ass to me. Then there are the medium sized boxes that don't really make the car sound much better, just slightly louder like SS sport, dinan. The Medium size, but more uniquely design boxes like RE el diablo (dixis rep) and OM scorza, sound the best as far as actually changing the tone and adding more noise.

My absolute favorite was RDSport, but the tips are goofy looking, and they're well NLA at this point. Hamann and ACS are supersprint or maybe RDsport (italian) commissioned, sound the same as SS street imo.

Then there are the larger bodied mufflers that most don't think make the car sound better, just raspier or tinnier, but, personally, I really like the sound, it's much more "motorsport" than the rest imo. Those would be Remus and Eisenmann.

I think it's hard to rationalize the $ for most mufflers for this car when it's the induction that's so intoxicating. OM scorza, RE el diablo (dixis rep) and the original titanium dixis are the best imo.
          This is an extremely helpful assessment! Based on your guide, this a no name AP/Megan/Status Gruppe V3 style section 3. Went to a car show this weekend and was really turned off by the racer boy exhausts I heard on the E46 M3s. Too late to turn back now though! Picked one up for $300. Going to fit it and see how it sounds (have megan headers + AR20 resonator on the car). Worst case you'll see it on classifieds.

Building a sweet sounding exhaust really is an art. I also don't think there is anyway around getting a CSL airbox for the induction sound.

Comment

Ya it's very hard to get the E46 exhaust to sound good to everyone. You can get it to sound great to some people, but then others will say it's too harsh and raspy. You can add resonators and x pipes and get it to sound more exotic and "tuned," but then someone like me will say it sounds lazier and not as "motorsport" or hardcore.

No one can complain about the CSL induction, though.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Tbon3, you where correct that this is the Status Gruppe v3 style muffler. For record keeping, I have Megan headers, no cats, 1 AR20, and a Status Gruppe V3/Agency Power styled muffler. Here is a sound clip and I hope this helps someone make a decision in the future.

As for me, totally not my vibe. Didn't realize how much I like the engine sound. Taking this sucker out and throwing it on marketplace. Although it was fun to have a loud exhaust for a few days.

Comment

With your setup, the AP Gen 1 exhaust will sound pretty good. Loud but not crazy.
                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 BMW ///M3
                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                  With your setup, the AP Gen 1 exhaust will sound pretty good. Loud but not crazy.
                  See the YouTube link above if you want to hear it. It's too loud for my taste. The exhaust sounds good overall though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post

See the YouTube link above if you want to hear it. It's too loud for my taste. The exhaust sounds good overall though.
                    I felt the same way about my gen1 AP muffler. Got it for super cheap off someone who didn't realise what it was so I thought I would just see what it was like. The tone and sound was nice, but just too loud. Went back to stock euro a few months later.

Comment

Titanium is the way to go cost not being a factor.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

I felt the same way about my gen1 AP muffler. Got it for super cheap off someone who didn't realise what it was so I thought I would just see what it was like. The tone and sound was nice, but just too loud. Went back to stock euro a few months later.
                        I lasted less than a week

Airbox it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X