Stripped oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped oil drain plug

Was going to do a oil change today, but the oil drain plug stripped. The 6mm hex, now it all rounded. How would I get this out? I ordered a new drain plug, I didnt want to deal with the hex anymore.
    Last edited by M3powerzz; 06-05-2022, 12:01 PM.

buy a fluid extractor and do it from the top in 10 minutes. way easier.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Try a torx bit. I think a T35 or something. Might be able to get it out.

Comment

Ok I will give it a shot. If that fails , maybe a bolt extractor? Or if I could get a good grip with vice grips.
        Last edited by M3powerzz; 06-05-2022, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
          Ok I will give it a shot. If that fails , maybe a bolt extractor? Or if I could get a good grip with vice grips.
          Hammer in a torx bit so its TIGHT. Then attach ratchet to it and turn. Should work.

Extractor is last resort as they are brittle and break easily. And if they break off you can’t drill em out.

Comment

This is what happens when people use cheap chinese tools that fit imprecisely.

OP, try cutting a slot in the head with a dremel and turning it with a slotted screwdriver. If you take it to a muffler shop have them tack weld a nut to it so you can remove it without damaging anything.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              This is what happens when people use cheap chinese tools that fit imprecisely.

OP, try cutting a slot in the head with a dremel and turning it with a slotted screwdriver. If you take it to a muffler shop have them tack weld a nut to it so you can remove it without damaging anything.
              Doubtful, more than likely due to past use of SAE, because "it fits"

Comment

this is why i usually change out the drain plug with new, on every oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

Doubtful, more than likely due to past use of SAE, because "it fits"
                  Also, good hex sockets don't contact the corners to round them so you never have an issue with "hex-plus" or similar bits.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Well I used a dremel and made a slot so I could get a flat screwdriver in there. That didn't work. I used vice grips but it kept slipping. So im gonna take it to a exhaust shop let them weld a nut and see if that works.

Comment

Working...
                    X