Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate control blower fan resistor replacement

Has anyone here done this job before?

I have the Bentley service manual, and after taking apart a ton of stuff- glovebox, HVAC control, shifter boot and panel, ducting, etc., the next step is to lift up an arm on a motor, which is deep in the car toward the firewall, limited space and visibility. I can't lift this arm and remove the motor. The resistor pack is right behind that motor.

I did mine last summer. iirc, it was mostly stuff in the passenger side that came out. It's definitely a tight spot but doable. I spent most of my time in the passenger floorboard. I watched one or two videos on youtube that described the job perfectly.

I believe i just unscrewed the arm's motor to move it out of the way. I'll see if I can find the video I followed.

Welcome to ShopLifeTV!Is your Air conditioning or Heater fan not working properly on your e46? Check out this videoFinal stage resistorMerchandise: http://ww...
    Last edited by zzyzx85; 06-13-2022, 08:15 AM.
    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
      I did mine last summer. iirc, it was mostly stuff in the passenger side that came out. It's definitely a tight spot but doable. I spent most of my time in the passenger floorboard. I watched one or two videos on youtube that described the job perfectly.

I believe i just unscrewed the arm's mount to move it out of the way. I'll see if I can find the video I followed.
      Thank you! That might be what I was missing.

If you can find the video that would be awesome, but I'll start searching on YouTube as well.

Comment

Originally posted by t44tq View Post
        The resistor pack is right behind that motor.
        Ah, the meat tender. It is an Analog motor drive AMP (not the normal digital PWM motor drivers like fuel pump and radiator E-fan as we expect to have on modern cars). The analog AMP got very hot due to its voltage regulating job (PWM regulating the driving voltage but waste very little heat) and so the AMP housing has a large surface area. I suspect it was design as analog driver to keep the electrical signals (CAN, many sensing signals, etc.) clean from the induced noise from PWM driver.

Hint: use tape or chewing gum to hold the Torx screws on the driver during install. Use towels to stuff around to avoid the removed screw falling into the black hole.

Comment

Working...
        X