SMG No Crank/No Start/No Click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG No Crank/No Start/No Click

Just wanted to share my experience with trying to start my engine after SMG relocation. I had the SMG pump removed, relocated, completed the Clutch and Actuator bleed procedures then re-installed airbox. Went to go start the car and nothing. Thinking I somehow buggered the starter or solenoid I went about diagnosing everything else before ripping the plenum back off.

We read live data from the EWS and EWS reported that it was blocking starter because of P/N. Which I assumed was the park neutral switch. So I cleared codes from ECU, SMG ECU, and EWS. Then with the key in ACC I moved the shift lever from Neutral to 1 and back again 4 or 5 times to make sure that the SMG pump was working correctly. You could hear the clunk back and forth between gears easily. Then went to start the car again and voila, started right up.

So if you are facing no crank no start with SMG I would recommend reading live data from EWS and/or SMG ECU to diagnose before ripping out intake plenum to diagnose starter. At the end of the day I am not sure what the exact fault was but the Click image for larger version

Name:	pn_livedata.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	171989
    Attached Files

This exact error can occur if the voltage from your battery is low or your battery has hit end of life. I'm not saying that is what happened to eacmen but as a note for others that come along.

Edit: Adding the exact error message so that Google's indexer picks it up. Starter motor blocked due to P/N.
    Last edited by oceansize; 06-13-2022, 04:01 PM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      This exact error can occur if the voltage from your battery is low or your battery has hit end of life. I'm not saying that is what happened to eacmen but as a note for others that come along.
      Good to know! Voltage was low 13s.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Good to know! Voltage was low 13s.
        13v is unusually high with engine not running, but it's low with engine running.

Without the computer software tool or other OBD2 device to read EWS status, one could try to shift the gears with engine off, and if gears shifted ok with correct gear position indicator then one knows the park/neutral switch is good.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

13v is unusually high with engine not running, but it's low with engine running.

Without the computer software tool or other OBD2 device to read EWS status, one could try to shift the gears with engine off, and if gears shifted ok with correct gear position indicator then one knows the park/neutral switch is good.
          Yeah I had a battery charger on it. Disconnected it and high 12s.

What was weird was that the gears were shifting okay with the shift lever. It wasn't until I cleared all the codes and actuated the shift lever several times that the car would start. However, I believe that the P/N switch signal to EWS is actually sent via the SMG ECU and not the shift lever itself. So its not like its a straight switch from the shift lever to the EWS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.50.56 PM.png
Views:	442
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	172048

Comment

"due to P/N" is a problem with the clutch module in a manual car.
            I had this advisory on my manual with the same no crank, no start condition.
            You may have a problem with the same in your car?

Comment

Always check the starter signal before tearing into the car which comes from the EWS through the E-box to the starter. In the E-box there is an 8 pin black connector and the starter signal is the fat black wire. If you back probe that connector and have 12v when trying to crank you are good, if not then you need to look into something else.
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
              X