Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever go a size up on sidewalls with stock wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever go a size up on sidewalls with stock wheels?

I'm trying to find places to eek out a little more compliance from the ride as I get older. I'm wondering if going up sidewall height can fit with OE 19s (style 67).

I know stock is 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 for a size difference front to back of .4% and ~3.5" sidewall.

Specifically looking at:

235/40/19 and 255/40/19 which is 2.2% different, 3.7" and 4" sidewall. Keeps the rear narrower but I don't know if the 2.2% will screw with traction or ABS?

or 235/40/19 and 265/35/19 which is .4%, with ~3.7" sidewall. I've seen this setup mentioned before but I'm wondering if it is a noticeable difference and how it effects clearances when lowered ~1".

I considered going with 18s for this purpose, but a standard 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 theoretically yields the same sidewall as 235/40/19 and 265/35/19

or are all the tire size calculators a load of BS and I should just get 18s?

Thanks

Don't do it. Just slows the car down. Buy a buick.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Super bad idea. Just get some 18s in OEM sizes. And put on stock suspension.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I agree with the above. Bigger tires weigh more, and “power to spare” isn’t a core attribute here.

I’d say go with stock 18’s.

Buying lighter 19’s or returning to stock suspension are both more of a project than you seem to have in mind.

maw

Comment

Get 17s or 18s. They ride so much better than 19s and they have very noticeable performance benefits.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by K_M3 View Post
            I'm trying to find places to eek out a little more compliance from the ride as I get older. I'm wondering if going up sidewall height can fit with OE 19s (style 67).

I know stock is 225/40/19 and 255/35/19 for a size difference front to back of .4% and ~3.5" sidewall.

Specifically looking at:

235/40/19 and 255/40/19 which is 2.2% different, 3.7" and 4" sidewall. Keeps the rear narrower but I don't know if the 2.2% will screw with traction or ABS?

or 235/40/19 and 265/35/19 which is .4%, with ~3.7" sidewall. I've seen this setup mentioned before but I'm wondering if it is a noticeable difference and how it effects clearances when lowered ~1".

I considered going with 18s for this purpose, but a standard 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 theoretically yields the same sidewall as 235/40/19 and 265/35/19

or are all the tire size calculators a load of BS and I should just get 18s?

Thanks
            Put your car back to stock springs.

Stock 18" tire sizes are 225/45/18 and 255/40/18, which have bigger sidewalls than your 19s.
            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Seems straight forward. WTB OE 18s...

Comment

Get a square set of rear 18s. 255/40 all around. Dual purpose track set up!

Comment

Quick question about stock suspension. More comfortable than something like Ohilins R&T or PSS10s on softer settings?

Comment

You need a lexus bro
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Quick question about stock suspension. More comfortable than something like Ohilins R&T or PSS10s on softer settings?
                      yes, almost nothing is as comfy as the OE suspension, except I’d argue Koni Yellows are better all around with no sacrifice in comfort.

any aftermarket coil over will not be as comfy as OE. People like to say that it is, but mostly they’re making that comparison to blown-out OE components.

you don’t need to have a stiff ride to have a great handling car. That mindset is outdated, and sadly, just wrong.

how many miles do you have on your current shocks/struts? If great than 50k than they’re not doing their job like they used to. The shocks have the single greatest impact on ride comfort. If you’re going to swap springs it would be a false economy to overlook the shocks while you are in there. All new bump stops and rubber spring pads plus shock mounts. A fresh stock setup is eye opening in a good way. You just have to be on with the body roll
                      Last edited by tlow98; 06-17-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        You need a lexus bro
                        The second car is actually a M760. Not trying to match it, just trying to take the edge off the M3.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

yes, almost nothing is as comfy as the OE suspension, except I’d argue Koni Yellows are better all around with no sacrifice in comfort.

any aftermarket coil over will not be as comfy as OE. People like to say that it is, but mostly they’re making that comparison to blown-out OE components.

you don’t need to have a stiff ride to have a great handling car. That mindset is outdated, and sadly, just wrong.

how many miles do you have on your current shocks/struts? If great than 50k than they’re not doing their job like they used to. The shocks have the single greatest impact on ride comfort. If you’re going to swap springs it would be a false economy to overlook the shocks while you are in there. All new bump stops and rubber spring pads plus shock mounts. A fresh stock setup is eye opening in a good way. You just have to be on with the body roll
                          I'm assuming Koni Yellows with stock springs?

Comment

Going up 5 in sidewall ratio will help as a short term fix, as well as getting tires with soft sidewalls. A larger tire DOES marginally smooth out bumps even with the same size sidewall, too (think bicycle tire vs scooter tire) but the added weight and reduced clearance aren't worth it.

+1 for downsizing to 18"s and running 255/40/18 or even better, 17s. With 17s, sizing gets a little more difficult depending on tire model. You won't get 200TW tires for example, but there are tons (111) of options at 225/50/17. Continental ExtremeContactSport would be a good option to still have a very capable summer tire, for example. And well, there's a lot of all season and touring summer options;

Comment

I'm assuming Koni Yellows with stock springs?
                              Hard to go wrong with stock or Dinan

Comment

Working...
                              X