Hood replacement DIY ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood replacement DIY ?

Hi - does anyone have any good diys on replacing the hood on an e46 m3 ? I’m looking to replace mine and the replacement hood that I got has the harness cut … any insight would be very helpful!

Already searched google and YouTube and couldn’t find anything specific to m3s so was wondering if anyone knows how to do it for our cars. Unless the process is the same?

Basically the same for all E46s. Here is a quick list:
    1. The wiring harness is part of the body harness. To remove it from the hood you need to disconnect with two plugs for the washers, unclip the harness, remove 2 rubber grommets, then pull the harness out through the hole at the lower passenger side of the hood. Then unbold the plastic wiring guide from the same area to get the harness completely clear of the hinges.
    2. There are 4 bolts that hold the hood to the hinges. The 2 bolts closet to the windshield need to be removed. The 2 at the end of the hinge are slotted and can just be loosened. This lets you remove/loosen the hinge bolts, then lower the hood, then pull the hood towards the front of the car and remove it. MUCH easier with two people... Protect your fenders if you are doing this solo.
    3. If needed, swap hardware (latches etc) over to new hood. Try to match locations as closely as possible to maintain hood gap alignment. I made a quick template off the old hood with masking tape.
    4. Install in reverse order.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
      Basically the same for all E46s. Here is a quick list:
      1. The wiring harness is part of the body harness. To remove it from the hood you need to disconnect with two plugs for the washers, unclip the harness, remove 2 rubber grommets, then pull the harness out through the hole at the lower passenger side of the hood. Then unbold the plastic wiring guide from the same area to get the harness completely clear of the hinges.
      2. There are 4 bolts that hold the hood to the hinges. The 2 bolts closet to the windshield need to be removed. The 2 at the end of the hinge are slotted and can just be loosened. This lets you remove/loosen the hinge bolts, then lower the hood, then pull the hood towards the front of the car and remove it. MUCH easier with two people... Protect your fenders if you are doing this solo.
      3. If needed, swap hardware (latches etc) over to new hood. Try to match locations as closely as possible to maintain hood gap alignment. I made a quick template off the old hood with masking tape.
      4. Install in reverse order.
      This was very helpful thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
      X