Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Resolved* SMG Pump Replacement Cost

Hello all,

What would be the average cost to replace an SMG Pump, labor only, pump provided? Also, if anyone is in the NNJ/NY area that can do the job including bleeding, please PM me!

Thank you.

*Resolved*
    Last edited by sbay; 06-28-2022, 06:21 PM.

If everything goes as planned for the shop then 5 hours labor, maximum IMO. Really should only take two to three hours.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      If everything goes as planned for the shop then 5 hours labor, maximum IMO. Really should only take two to three hours.
      Thank you! Just gave the DIY a look. Actually fairly "DIYable" based on my skill level, so will probably give it a shot. Just worried about that bleeding process, and apparently the hydraulic lines are sometimes seized.

Comment

If you don't hit any adaptation/bleed issues the job is really quite easy. There are differing opinions but I have found the adaptations routines work best when the car is at operating temps. Others disagree. Careful with the red collett where the reservoir hose connects to the pump assembly as it is easily broken. With even pressure push the red ring down firmly but slowly and pull the hose out.
        Last edited by oceansize; 06-28-2022, 04:06 PM.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I replaced my clutch and bleed the lines using the foxwell scanner. Worked fine. If u need it and if I’m not too far then let me know I’m in Lumberton NJ.
          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
            I replaced my clutch and bleed the lines using the foxwell scanner. Worked fine. If u need it and if I’m not too far then let me know I’m in Lumberton NJ.
            Thank you for the offer! I just scheduled with Pat (IG name: smgto6mt) who is also in NJ, to have the pump swapped out this Friday if all goes as planned. Glad to have this forum, and experts around always willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by sbay View Post
              ...Actually fairly "DIYable" based on my skill level, so will probably give it a shot. Just worried about that bleeding process, and apparently the hydraulic lines are sometimes seized.
              This really is a good DIY. Make sure you have a really good 11mm flare wrench to loosen the lines. I bought a craftsman just for this purpose. A "regular " wrench is only going to round the hydraulic line fittings. They are tight with minimal room.
              It took me longer to remove all the intake pieces than the actual pump.
              If the bleeding process fails and is really loud, check the previous mentioned little red collet on the bottom of the SMG reservoir. Otherwise the bleeding is pretty simple.
              Best skills sent your way. You can do it. Save money!

Comment

4 to 5 hours is unreasonably low, especially considering these are not a common job performed. A reasonable shop would charge around 10 hours. Warranty times are well above 5 hours which are already low. I do not want people going to shops expecting a 4 hour job and they get charged twice that because they will. That being said, it makes it more worth DIYing.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

4 to 5 hours is unreasonably low, especially considering these are not a common job performed. A reasonable shop would charge around 10 hours. Warranty times are well above 5 hours which are already low. I do not want people going to shops expecting a 4 hour job and they get charged twice that because they will. That being said, it makes it more worth DIYing.
                  Ten hours is a complete rip off. You must be joking.

Comment

Ten hours is a complete rip off. You must be joking.
                    You must not be a technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

You must not be a technician.
                      It doesn't matter. 10 hours is a complete rip off. I can't even imagine what on earth could possibly take 10 hours. I've had my SMG pump out at least 5 times and have relocated it to the drug bin. There is absolutely nothing that could warrant ten hours.

Now could a technician hit a problem? Yes, but that is a phone call to the customer explaining the issue and why additional time is required. Not I'm going to charge ten hours because I don't know what I'm doing and might hit a problem.

With no problems then three hours max. You going to refund the extra seven hours in that situation? No you aren't and that is the issue. I do understand book time but seven or eight hours over book time, that I do not understand.
                      Last edited by oceansize; 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter. 10 hours is a complete rip off. I can't even imagine what on earth could possibly take 10 hours. I've had my SMG pump out at least 5 times and have relocated it to the drug bin. There is absolutely nothing that could warrant ten hours.

Now could a technician hit a problem? Yes, but that is a phone call to the customer explaining the issue and why additional time is required. Not I'm going to charge ten hours because I don't know what I'm doing and might hit a problem.

With no problems then three hours max. You going to refund the extra seven hours in that situation? No you aren't and that is the issue. I do understand book time but seven or eight hours over book time, that I do not understand.
                        Warranty is almost 7 hours. You're not going to pay less than that. That is the prescribed time to follow to proper Repair Instructions. Jobs aren't based on how long the tech takes, it's based on what BMW has decided. This is how it is and will always be.

Comment

Working...
                        X