Cat replacement question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat replacement question....

I went this morning for a NYS inspection. Check engine light was on, mechanic ran code. It's the cat on the right bank. When I bought the car, it had euro headers with a Rogue El Diablo exhaust but the other sections are stock. Does anyone know where would be the best place to source a cat? I am not sure how this works since I am using euro headers. Any suggestions would be welcome since NYC is a bitch to get inspection passed.

Whats the code? Have you ruled out the post-cat o2?
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
      Whats the code? Have you ruled out the post-cat o2?
      I will ask when I go back tomorrow. He told me it's the cat for bank 2 but I will double check and ask for the code. Car has 82,000 miles so I found it odd to go so quickly but I guess you can never tell with these things.

Comment

Its your O2 sensor, dont even bother going back. If you wrench at all, there should be a DIY somewhere. If youre not inclined to DIY, share your location and I'm sure some members here can suggest a quality indy mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
          Its your O2 sensor, dont even bother going back. If you wrench at all, there should be a DIY somewhere. If youre not inclined to DIY, share your location and I'm sure some members here can suggest a quality indy mechanic.
          Thanks. I remember the previous owner saying he had put in 200 cel euro cats but I'll have the mechanic just check again to see if it's the O2 sensor and not the cat.

Comment

Look underneath the car, you should easily be able to see if you hav cats are fine- if you have a cat efficiency code then its either related to your lower cel count or a bad o2 sensor. The way to determine if its an o2 sensor (which it is 99% of the time)
            or faulty cars is to install a new o2 sensor.

Comment

If I understand correctly you have Euro headers, a muffler and the rest of the exhaust is stock?

If so you do not have any cats installed. The US headers incorporate the cats and when euro's are installed you have to add cats to the section 1 and if yours is stock US then it does not have them.
              '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

^^^ this. You may not even have cats

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                  If I understand correctly you have Euro headers, a muffler and the rest of the exhaust is stock?

If so you do not have any cats installed. The US headers incorporate the cats and when euro's are installed you have to add cats to the section 1 and if yours is stock US then it does not have them.
                  Mechanic did a more detailed check and it's euro headers, euro section 1 w/cats, stock section 2, and RE El Diablo. He reset it, I did a drive cycle and it passed. I am still baffled because he said the original code was for a cat going bad on bank 2. I am wondering now if I have to have the cats replaced in the section 1 (is that even possible?) or look for a used euro section 1 w. cats.

Comment

fwiw, if you're on a stock tune, running a euro setup will still trigger a CEL. if you get something like an epic tune. it will tune out the cat codes and you should be able to pass inspection (although i see you already passed)
                    if your cats are in fact clogged, you can 1) find a used euro section 1 or 2) my route. i ended up getting a US Section 1 and had cats welded onto it (i went with HJS cats imported form germany but you can go cheaper if you choose).

i guess you could do a rattle test (removing the section 1) and see if the substrate is loose. mine was clogged on the right bank as well and i had a serious loss of power. it was pretty obvious and resulted in right bank misfires.
                    '06 Carbon Black
                    Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoPolo View Post
                      fwiw, if you're on a stock tune, running a euro setup will still trigger a CEL. if you get something like an epic tune. it will tune out the cat codes and you should be able to pass inspection (although i see you already passed)
                      if your cats are in fact clogged, you can 1) find a used euro section 1 or 2) my route. i ended up getting a US Section 1 and had cats welded onto it (i went with HJS cats imported form germany but you can go cheaper if you choose).

i guess you could do a rattle test (removing the section 1) and see if the substrate is loose. mine was clogged on the right bank as well and i had a serious loss of power. it was pretty obvious and resulted in right bank misfires.
                      You can also just code out the rear o2 sensors with Martyn's tool. It auto sets the monitors to ready.

Comment

dude, for the third time, if anything its an O2 sensor on its way out, your cats are fine

Comment

Working...
                        X