What to replace while dash is out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to replace while dash is out ?

Hi everyone - just wanted your input / advice if there is anything I should replace preemptively while I have the whole dash out. I am doing an interior swap on my car and took the whole dash out so if there anytbjnt I need to replace while it’s out - my advice / rec would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Just had mine out too .. IMO BMW was pretty good about nothing really being a dash-out service item on this chassis. The spiky blower motor resistor might be easier to get to but I’ve replaced that on three E46s the normal way with no issue. The blower motor itself comes out the engine side of the firewall if I’m not mistaken. Nothing else that gets replaced is really back there.

Comment

Evaporator, Heater Core, maybe. Depending on milage and if you care about such things :P
      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        The spiky blower motor resistor might be easier to get to but I’ve replaced that on three E46s the normal way with no issue.
        I will suggest this as well. I've only replaced mine once the "normal" way, however, I found it quite the PITA. If given the opportunity with the dash out, I'd definitely do it now.

Comment

Does said spiky boi tend to go out often? My car has 103k miles on it, and I’m pulling the dash next month to install carpet.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
            Does said spiky boi tend to go out often? My car has 103k miles on it, and I’m pulling the dash next month to install carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
              Mine died at around 210k km / 130k miles.
              E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
              E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
              E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Mine went out around 85k. I did not find it an enjoyable job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks so much guys! I will replace it. Unfortunately the only one they have at fcp is the acm one and I don’t want to dish $300 for the genuine bmw one. Anyone have any experience with Acm ? You think it’ll be okay ?

Would hate to replace it and end up having to do the whole thing again in 25k miles.

The rein and meyle is out of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule531 View Post
                    I don’t want to dish $300 for the genuine bmw one.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...cm-64116923204
                    Three bills! I paid just about what the ACM is six-ish years ago, but I don't remember what I got. It's been fine since, but we all know that is basically a crap shoot.

Comment

Replace the blend door and recirculation door motors. Put felt tape on contact points if possible. Definitely do the heater core and evaporator with the expansion valve. I would not prioritize the resistor because it is accessible with the dash in.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Evaporator...100%. Felt tape around all of the edges of everything. Also clean any electrical contacts.

I would open up the HVAC box and clean it.

Heater core...flush it out. If the water is dirty then replace it. I'd probably just replace it.

Comment

Working...
                        X