Best place to get new axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to get new axles?

Going to be pulling my rear diff soonish and doing an LSD build, but my axles are old and stuck in place so I need fresh ones. Where is the best place to get new/upgraded axles? Seems to be a crapshoot hunting down the right axles that aren't low quality junk.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

I think I found in a thread on this forum, someone recommending these guys for a rebuild:

CVJ Axles remanufactured OEM cv axles, steering racks, MB air injection smog pumps, as well as racing and off-road parts.

I have no personal experience with them, but will need to do this same job in the near future. Subscribed.

Comment

I had mine rebuild by them over the winter and everything is working fine so far.

Comment

Is it only the CV inside of the axle that can be rebuilt? Does the other side (splined side) need rebuilding as well?

I did see there is a CV joint rebuild kit, if it’s something you would want to DIY.

**edit I posted a link to an incorrect part. Removing so nobody orders it-**
        Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 07-23-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
          Is it only the CV inside of the axle that can be rebuilt? Does the other side (splined side) need rebuilding as well?

I did see there is a CV joint rebuild kit, if it’s something you would want to DIY.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...hoCyhcQAvD_BwE
          That's for the driveshaft joint.

Burkhart sells an output shaft rebuild kit which is cheap, you'll need two:
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...hoCyhcQAvD_BwE
            They rebuild both sides of mine. It was around $300/axle.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

That's for the driveshaft joint.

Burkhart sells an output shaft rebuild kit which is cheap, you'll need two:
              https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...-incl-csl-bmw/
              Oh shit. Good catch..

And doublesidedtape... I emailed them yesterday to get some more info. thanks!

Comment

Symptoms of failing axle CV? Other than grease flying out?

Comment

Just wanted to update, in case anyone is curious. They said ~$369 each/axle + shipping. with a few day turnaround. Both inside and outside cv joints.

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                  Symptoms of failing axle CV? Other than grease flying out?
                  people say you hear clicking.

in my specific scenario I have play between the axle and hub and axle and diff, causing a clunking.
                  Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 07-19-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to update, in case anyone is curious. They said ~$369 each/axle + shipping. with a few day turnaround. Both inside and outside cv joints.

people say you hear clicking.

in my specific scenario I have play between the axle and hub and axle and diff, causing a clunking.
                    Awesome thank you. Gotta find a way to send mine out or get a spare set to send out.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Isn't a certain amount of lash expected there? I've had axles rebuilt by "Axles Unlimited" that still had that play, I'm curious to hear if CVJ is able to remove it.

Comment

Does repairing the outside portion require anything special tool wise that the inner does not? I would just rebuild myself but it appears none of these outfits sell outer portion repair parts.

I would send them out as well but sending to the UK would cost enough that I think this might have to be a DIY deal if parts can be souced. Mine are both just starting to sling a tiny bit of liquefied grease around onto the SF after a drive.

This winter I want to swap my 4.10s for maybe a 3.85 case and getting the axles refurbished would be a good thing to do as well.
                        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

the inner is technically not rebuildable, it can be opened and repacked still, but requires a bit more work. there is a YT video that shows how to open the inner CV. I will see if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            Does repairing the outside portion require anything special tool wise that the inner does not? I would just rebuild myself but it appears none of these outfits sell outer portion repair parts.

I would send them out as well but sending to the UK would cost enough that I think this might have to be a DIY deal if parts can be souced. Mine are both just starting to sling a tiny bit of liquefied grease around onto the SF after a drive.

This winter I want to swap my 4.10s for maybe a 3.85 case and getting the axles refurbished would be a good thing to do as well.
                            I don't think the outer CV joints require anything special. I just don't believe there are any parts kits, as you stated. Who were you going to send it to in the UK? ...CVJ is located in Colorado.

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post

Isn't a certain amount of lash expected there? I've had axles rebuilt by "Axles Unlimited" that still had that play, I'm curious to hear if CVJ is able to remove it.
                            I'm sure there is definitely a certain amount of play to be expected. Mine are pretty audible on both ends, causing a loud clunk in addition to the normal m, differential clunk.

My car also has 200k with plenty of clutch drops on 275s to wear them out. So either way, it's time for a rebuild!

Comment

I don't think the outer CV joints require anything special. I just don't believe there are any parts kits, as you stated. Who were you going to send it to in the UK? ...CVJ is located in Colorado.

I'm sure there is definitely a certain amount of play to be expected. Mine are pretty audible on both ends, causing a loud clunk in addition to the normal m, differential clunk.

My car also has 200k with plenty of clutch drops on 275s to wear them out. So either way, it's time for a rebuild!
                              Ah, I thought Burkhart was rebuilding them until I read the first post.
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X