How to seal tail lights from water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to seal tail lights from water?

I washed my car the other day and noticed some water is getting through the tail lights, and subsequently into the battery tray.

Without looking I would imagine the Lens Seal has perished, but will getting a new one solve the problem, or should I be looking at other alternatives like Butyl Sealant Rope/Tape?

Yes, a new one will stop water getting into the trunk area; otherwise, the bootlid seal can also let water in if it has worn out.

Comment

There's also a plastic guard with a seal you may want to replace. It snaps into the light and runs verticle

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
        There's also a plastic guard with a seal you may want to replace. It snaps into the light and runs verticle
        Do you have a link or picture of this?

Comment

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post

Do you have a link or picture of this?
          This seal is what you see when you open the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart79 View Post

This seal is what you see when you open the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I put some used amber taillights on my car without replacing these, and immediately had a water leak issue into my trunk and battery tray. After replacing these pieces, I haven't had an issue since. I did not have to replace the foam circles around the bulbs, though it wouldn't hurt to be sure. These plastic covers help direct a lot of water coming down from the trunk seams as it leaks down towards the ground.
            2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

The plastic seals show above keep out all water that comes off of the roof and back window. The foam seals behind the light help keep out water that gets in around the light housing. Both are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace so why not

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
                The plastic seals show above keep out all water that comes off of the roof and back window. The foam seals behind the light help keep out water that gets in around the light housing. Both are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace so why not
                This. Have done this process for about 3 different cars. Well worth it for the peace of mind.

Comment

Will definitely be doing both...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220802_141753_620_resize.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	178768
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220802_143906_708_resize.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	178769