Possible to Retrofit Park Distance Control PDC to non-PDC car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to Retrofit Park Distance Control PDC to non-PDC car

Hey guys, I have been considering retrofitting PDC to one of my m3’s. I know bmw offered a retrofit kit which has been discontinued. I have been thinking of sourcing all the PDC parts to retrofit into my m3. I am aware of needing a bumper, sensors, module, wiring harness etc. but wanted to know if there were any detailed write ups on this retrofit process. I am trying to figure out how involved this process is?

Anyone have any links to write ups or install videos?

Sent this in a PM also, but in case anyone searches for this in the future, this link has a good write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know anything about retrofitting the PDC stuff, but I just recently retrofit BiXenons on a Halogen car and had to make a wiring harness for that.

The wiring plugs are pretty much only available from BMW, but you can buy the terminal connectors and seals from Mouser/Digikey/etc., just search for MQS Terminals.

I also used a Hozan P-706 to properly crimp the connectors. Buying pigtails from BMW and splicing them together didn't seem like a great solution.

Comment

Just did it on my sedan. Ton of work but totally worth it.

So I haven't actually finished this retrofit, but I got the hard part down. Don't know how many people are actually interested in this, but it doesn't hurt. BMW has an official retrofit procedure, which is what this DIY is based on. Because there are official instructions, I wasn't very detailed about showing where the pins and such go. Coupe/Convertible Instructions Sedan/Touring Instructions So as you'll see in the instructions, there are two harnesses required to do this
        2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

It’s possible. As shown in the link above ons of the harnesses needs to be built. I did finally get a new rear bumper with sensors and it’s been working great.

Comment

You could put after market PDC in. Added it to an e90 and was cheap and worked great

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
              It’s possible. As shown in the link above ons of the harnesses needs to be built. I did finally get a new rear bumper with sensors and it’s been working great.
              Can all the parts be sourced from a PDC car that is being parted out? Would this make it plug and play?

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                Just did it on my sedan. Ton of work but totally worth it.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...65a236806b6f1a
                That’s what I was worried about. I am trying to weight how much work to the reward of having PDC.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech9 View Post
                  You could put after market PDC in. Added it to an e90 and was cheap and worked great
                  I kinda wanted to stay OEM, I have it in my convertible and like it even though it’s pretty rudimentary.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Can all the parts be sourced from a PDC car that is being parted out? Would this make it plug and play?
                    On a factory PDC car, the harness would be integrated into the main chassis harness. Would be a complete pain in the ass the separate only the wires you need.

Comment

I do not like the PDC warts on the rear bumper so when I see a car without PDC, it's a bonus to me

Comment

Originally posted by Tizz View Post
                        I do not like the PDC warts on the rear bumper so when I see a car without PDC, it's a bonus to me
                        +1 OP i actually did the opposite and shaved the sensors off of my bumper

if you're up for it, maybe see if the newer, more flush, BMW PDC sensors will work for our cars if follow through with the retrofit

Comment

Electrically newer more-flush sensors upto a point should work (E85 Z4 and E83 X3 uses basically same module, but have more flush sensors that are shared with newer models). Trickier part is getting them to mount and look good. And possibly would have to tweak calibration a little bit.

example

If you're going for custom mounts and such, front PDC is certainly feasible as well. If this car were my daily driver still, I'd consider it.

Comment

Working...
                          X