Weird Studder at 5k rpm under WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Studder at 5k rpm under WOT

Hey guys, my M3 recently developed a weird studder at 5k RPMs at WOT. It’s also a hit or mis, might do it. Might not.
    anyone else have a similar issue? No CEL either.
    Vanos was done 16k miles ago along with spark plugs before someone asks.
    I originally thought it was bad fuel as I had a similar issue last summer and it was bad fuel.
    Potentially my fuel pump?
    any input is appreciated!

Where's it centralised?

Is it chassis, suspension or driveline?
    Driveline would involve the differential mounts, the front mount being the least reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
      Where's it centralised?

Is it chassis, suspension or driveline?
      Driveline would involve the differential mounts, the front mount being the least reliable.
      Driveline for sure, engine. All bushings and mounts have been replaced. Almost like it a a centralized misfire.

Comment

If you feel that the engine is misfiring, get the codes read.
        If it is the engine internals, I would park the car until the codes are read.
        An engine misfire will trigger codes and probably a check engine light.

If it is in the driveline, I would check the torque of any fasteners from the Guibo to the driveshaft at the differential.
        Don't forget to check the collar that locks the two halves of the torque tube at the center support bearing.

Comment

If you feel that the engine is misfiring, get the codes read.
          If it is the engine internals, I would park the car until the codes are read.
          An engine misfire will trigger codes and probably a check engine light.

If it is in the driveline, I would check the torque of any fasteners from the Guibo to the driveshaft at the differential.
          Don't forget to check the collar that locks the two halves of the torque tube at the center support bearing.
          No current codes, and it only happens once or twice a drive with 10+ wot pulls.

Comment

This is just speculation but, I wonder if you're experiencing brief lean misfires, since there are no codes yet.
            Can you pull the plugs and see what the electrodes look like?

Comment

This is just speculation but, I wonder if you're experiencing brief lean misfires, since there are no codes yet.
              Can you pull the plugs and see what the electrodes look like?
              I’ll pull plugs tomorrow or Tuesday when I do my oil change and report back.

Comment

My guess is the fuel pump if it is original. From what I recall, the DME does not throw a code for a failing fuel pump. Usually, there will be misfires or no start.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  My guess is the fuel pump if it is original. From what I recall, the DME does not throw a code for a failing fuel pump. Usually, there will be misfires or no start.
                  This would be a strong possibility.
                  The pump is game, even when failing.
                  Mine got pretty noisy.
                  I don't generally push the revs due to the car speed on public roads, so the performance of the pump was ok.
                  When the jet pump got noisy on prime, I knew the main pump was going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    I am also leaning this way as well. Just figured Id ask and see if anyone else had a similar issue before I just replace the fuelpump.

Comment

Working...
                    X