Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG to Manual, Multi-feature to Competition Steering Wheel Build

Hello All,

I want to replace my steering wheel after an SMG to Manual swap. I love how clean and minimalistic the OEM Competition steering wheel is. It's been backordered online for quite some time, and I'm considering building my own.

Here is the parts diagram for reference:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	139637.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	182255

Current Build List:

New manual conversion steering wheel from Coby wheels

OEM BMW part 32347833936 for the upper trim piece with Competition button

OEM BMW part 32347833354 for the lower trim piece

Questions for anyone that has done this conversion:

Will I throw any error codes for not having the additional wires in the steering wheel plugged in?

Do I need to order a new connector/plug for the Comp button upper trim piece, or can I reuse my Multi-feature steering wheel plug? The Connecting Line, Airbag / Slip Ring (part #4 in diagram above) may be the same part for both steering wheel types based on my research.

Thank you!

Attached Files
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

You can use the same connector (this works the other way around as well, going from ZCP to multifunction). You won’t have errors, but if you want cruise control you’ll need to add a stalk. I don’t know how to wire up the M button for a non-ZCP car.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
      You can use the same connector (this works the other way around as well, going from ZCP to multifunction). You won’t have errors, but if you want cruise control you’ll need to add a stalk. I don’t know how to wire up the M button for a non-ZCP car.
      Thanks for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that! Most of my driving is around town - I think I can do without the cruise control. Glad it’s the same connector - that makes swapping in the Muli controls down the road really easy. Appreciate you 🤝

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Working...
      X