Trying to decide: e46 M3 vs F82 M4 vs 997.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide: e46 M3 vs F82 M4 vs 997.2

Unfortunately my e46 M3 SMG I've owned for 5 years was totalled by a reckless driver who ran a stop light. Dash cam caught it so luckily dealing with the insurance wasn't awful and I wound up getting a decent sum for it, which brings me to my question:

Can someone who has owned and preferably worked on all three of these cars give me their opinions of them in comparison based on the following criteria I have? Suggestions for other cars also welcome.
    • Needs paddles. 3 pedals do not work for me.
    • Maintenance costs are going to be a determining factor moreso than purchase cost
    • Following the above I DIY a lot, so whichever can be worked on in my garage would be best (I did a lot to my M3 previously)
    • This will be a spirited weekend or maybe AutoX car, not track oriented though, prefer something that won't rattle my teeth out
    I have an e39 M5 in my garage as well currently but planning on getting rid of it because it's too boaty for me. Also I'm really not a fan of e9x styling and I think they're overpriced for what they are. I'm really leaning towards buying something different just to experience it even if I do wind up back in an e46 m3 eventually. A 911 has been a poster car for me so that's why I'm interested in one. And I think the F80 / F82 are very beautiful cars. I'm still trying to find one for sale to test drive around here.
    Last edited by Aeko; 09-25-2022, 03:13 PM.

Would the 911 be a GT3?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeko View Post
      Also I'm really not a fan of e9x styling and I think they're overpriced for what they are.
      Nothing wrong with not loving the styling but not sure I would call them overpriced for what they are, particularly if one is looking for a street car that you can take to the canyons or AutoX. With an S65 you get the only V8 M3 ever made, a well-handling practical car that sounds absolutely amazing inside & out. And with an N54 you can pull 500hp very affordably and then push towards 4-digit power numbers if you wanted to. They might not be 911s but they'll always be pretty special to me.
      E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Originally posted by Boost View Post

Nothing wrong with not loving the styling but not sure I would call them overpriced for what they are
        I should have put an asterisk: in the current market. I know everything is up a lot at the moment but I think the e9x should have depreciated a lot more by now. Once rona hit they jumped so much I don't feel it's worth buying one.

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
        Would the 911 be a GT3?
        Nah, way out of budget. A GT3 would be the dream though. I have considered a 996 turbo as they're actually fairly affordable

Comment

No GT3, no care. Stick with the E46—God’s chariot.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I dunno the 3.8 in the CS is pretty great, and sounds amazing. And if automatic is important to you, then I'd for sure go PDK (although I can't speak to the F80 DCT, personally).
            2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Interesting that you think the e9x is overpriced. I am by no means in tune with the market but when I do casually look around I feel like a decent e9x m3 with the DCT is a very good bargain as compared to say an e46. The DCT is a far superior transmission to the SMG.

997.2 are nice cars but to me the value proposition is just not there as they are highly sought after which keeps the prices high. Talking $50k minimum for a base 997.2.

F8x is intriguing but I think the turbo motors just lose a lot of what made the older M cars special to me. Very fast, tons of torque.

Comment

The EPS in the F82 doesn’t feel great. Sure it’s precise etc but it has nothing on the weight and feedback of an E46 or E92. I had a day in one at the BMW performance center along with the M2 and M5 in late 2019, felt good to be back in my E46 and E39 even though all three newer cars were faster and more capable.

E46+E39 to an E90 sedan is a tempting proposition for a one car solution. Haven’t driven a 997 though but the styling and dbag factor rules it out for me.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                  The EPS in the F82 doesn’t feel great. Sure it’s precise etc but it has nothing on the weight and feedback of an E46 or E92. I had a day in one at the BMW performance center along with the M2 and M5 in late 2019, felt good to be back in my E46 and E39 even though all three newer cars were faster and more capable.

E46+E39 to an E90 sedan is a tempting proposition for a one car solution. Haven’t driven a 997 though but the styling and dbag factor rules it out for me.

​​​
                  On the one car solution, I honestly had this thought. I honestly wished I liked the styling more but the Bangle era stuff makes me gag. Unfortunately I am just as big on looks as driving feel so it makes finding the "right" car for me very difficult. And I feel you on the p-car egotism...

Originally posted by sina View Post
                  I dunno the 3.8 in the CS is pretty great, and sounds amazing. And if automatic is important to you, then I'd for sure go PDK (although I can't speak to the F80 DCT, personally).
                  They do sound pretty damn good and I got to ride in a PDK car. The shifts are great
                  Last edited by Aeko; 09-07-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post
                    I am by no means in tune with the market but when I do casually look around I feel like a decent e9x m3 with the DCT is a very good bargain as compared to say an e46. The DCT is a far superior transmission to the SMG.

997.2 are nice cars but to me the value proposition is just not there as they are highly sought after which keeps the prices high. Talking $50k minimum for a base 997.2.

F8x is intriguing but I think the turbo motors just lose a lot of what made the older M cars special to me. Very fast, tons of torque.
                    For the most part I agree. The SMG is "ok." It's livable, not as bad as people say, but the DCT is a popular swap into other track-focused cars for a reason.

The 997.2 market is also really inflated. They should be closer to high 30s low 40s, but may or may not get there due to electrification panic.

The "special" feeling of the s54 and s62 is what I love, but finding the right chassis and motor combo is a challenge for me. I love high revving NA stuff, but the looks and features of more recent stuff that's mostly turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                      E46+E39 to an E90 sedan is a tempting proposition for a one car solution.
                      ​​​
                      Well put. The E90 is an M3, but it works as my "M5" in ways as well.

OP, the E46 M3 is still the goldilocks. E90 is better "car" overall, but not at some big things like styling and ease of DIY and aftermarket options/community. And with SMG, you'll get a fair enough deal. E46s are still quite affordable if you don't go for a low mileage zcp manual slicktop blah blah blah.

*Keep in mind the E60/E9x are much more impressive in person than pictures. You can't quite see the widebody of them in pictures and they end up looking pretty blocky, but in person, they're more muscular looking, and very german imo.

The E90 is so impressive, you start to not care that's not as pretty as the E46. But maybe I can say that since I have both. If I lost my E46, I'd probably be signing a different tune.

While I just recommended an E46 above, the DCT (even without the tune!) is so goddamn good, SMG starts to become a parody (esp the SMG3 in the E60 m5). You'll need the CSL 255 tune on the SMG at a minimum.
                      Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-07-2022, 07:36 AM.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Truthfully I'd go used GT350. Curb weight for e9x M3, F82 M4, and the GT350 is almost identical. Better motor, better sound, naturally aspirated, and high revving plus the mod community is huge.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          *Keep in mind the E60/E9x are much more impressive in person than pictures. You can't quite see the widebody of them in pictures and they end up looking pretty blocky, but in person, they're more muscular looking, and very german imo.

The E90 is so impressive, you start to not care that's not as pretty as the E46. But maybe I can say that since I have both. If I lost my E46, I'd probably be signing a different tune.
                          Honestly, it may very well be I just have to at least buy an e9x just to see if it grows on me, if I can find a good buy. I can always find a good example of an e46 since they're plentiful, but I also have my daily e46 330ci.

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                          Truthfully I'd go used GT350. Curb weight for e9x M3, F82 M4, and the GT350 is almost identical. Better motor, better sound, naturally aspirated, and high revving plus the mod community is huge.
                          Edit: I like them but they're 3 pedal only.
                          Last edited by Aeko; 09-07-2022, 08:22 AM.

Comment

e9x V8 is my vote. I think they're underpriced and will continue to rise. The only V8 m3 ever and the one that sounds the best by far

Comment

Originally posted by Aeko View Post

Honestly, it may very well be I just have to at least buy an e9x just to see if it grows on me, if I can find a good buy. I can always find a good example of an e46 since they're plentiful, but I also have my daily e46 330ci.

Edit: I like them but they're 3 pedal only.
                              Mach 1 is close enough and can get that in auto with paddles. I’ve got a manual Mach 1.
                              Last edited by oceansize; 09-07-2022, 08:30 AM.
                              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X