Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought an engine, slight issue...

Hey Everyone,

So I bought a used engine with what seems to be perfect compression on all 6 cylinders (190). Sent it to a shop to get the rid bearings done, before I swap it into my car. During the rod bearing job, they put the engine on a stand and flipped it over (for the job). Unbeknownst to them, the oil wasn't drained from the engine and oil poured everywhere.

Now oils seems to be in the intake/exhaust ports, and who knows where else. Is this a problem? Is there anything I should do before installing? Would there be oil in the cylinders? Will the oil destroyed my SSV1 cats?

Thanks in advance.
    Kareem

I would definitely remove the spark plugs and run it on the starter without compression for a good while, would be a shame to hydrolock your new engine and bend a rod. Otherwise I'd try to use brake clean down the intake as well as up the exhaust ports as best as I could, I wouldn't think any residual oil would damage your cats as it burns off.

Regards

Comment

Gravity.

Comment

Isn't the shop taking a y responsibility?
        shouldn't they be responsible for cleaning g up their issue?
        2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3 View Post
          Isn't the shop taking a y responsibility?
          shouldn't they be responsible for cleaning g up their issue?
          Well they are, but I had to bring the engine home for the install. Id rather clean it, and make sure its good versus someone who might not car as much.

I was just worried about oil getting to places its not supposed to, then causing damage.

Comment

Due to how the PCV system works, your intake is going to get a nice little coat of oil no matter what. Everything beyond that, cylinders, exhaust, etc will burn it off and be fine.

Might be worth the advice of pulling the plugs to make sure the cylinders aren't totally full of oil, but I expect sitting upright that the oil would drain back down into the pan after a few days unless your rings are absolutely perfecto.

Comment

It'll be fine, but if you are worried about it turn it upside down with the spark plugs out for a few days. And if you are still worried about it after that run it with the cats off to operating temp and then put it together. Its gonna smoke a lot but will be fine.
              '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
              X