Tow hitch suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tow hitch suggestions

I've been searching but I'm late to this game and all the posts seem to be 10+ years old with links that don't work.

I'm looking for a tow hitch to add to the M3 so I can put a set of rims on a trailer instead of the back seat. Can anyone help with something that's sold online? If not I will probably end up at a local hitch shop where a guy named Bubba may or may not weld properly....... Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Wernd; 09-10-2022, 08:37 AM.

I might build a batch of hitchs for E46 M3’s if there is enough interested. I was supposed to do a prototype years ago, already bought receivers in 1-1/4’’ and 2’’ but never made it due to many other projects.

I built one for my Z4M Coupe when I was doing track days and Time Attack events. I was pulling an Harbor Freight 48’’x40’’ trailer with a storage box, fuel jugs and track wheels. I will post pics later when at home, pics in my laptop.

I might buy another E46 M3 soon that I will use as a jig for You weld roll bar kit I was selling on RIP M3forum and hitch too and other stuff.

2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I recall only one approach that works. It's a German product , IIRC out of production for years. It requires some fair modification to the car and only supports a small tire trailer.

Comment

​ What about this as an option?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JeremyJames; 09-11-2022, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
          I recall only one approach that works. It's a German product , IIRC out of production for years. It requires some fair modification to the car and only supports a small tire trailer.
          Was it the Westfalia hitch? I had one on my E46 Touring and it was a nice hitch but modified it to install a 2’’ receiver to be able to install a hitch bike rack

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Was it the Westfalia hitch? I had one on my E46 Touring and it was a nice hitch but modified it to install a 2’’ receiver to be able to install a hitch bike rack
            Yes, thats what my bookmark says.

Comment

Id be interested in the trailer hitch

Comment

Wayback machine is a wonderful thing: https://web.archive.org/web/20160307...d.php?t=349258

AFAIK you can still get the hitch here: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303230

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                  Wayback machine is a wonderful thing: https://web.archive.org/web/20160307...d.php?t=349258

AFAIK you can still get the hitch here: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303230
                  I had the Westfalia non removable version, a lot cheaper. Part#303196

Comment

Here is the Westfalia hitch I modified. Diffuser needed to be cut, didn't want something lower than diffuser.

Comment

That's pretty slick, thanks for sharing! Did you follow a similar path as the link I shared for getting your bumper cover mounted/aligned? I feel like I've seen some folks say you can just swap to the aluminum non-M bumper structure and it makes life easier.

Comment

And my custom Harbor Freight trailer setup

Comment

That's pretty slick, thanks for sharing! Did you follow a similar path as the link I shared for getting your bumper cover mounted/aligned? I feel like I've seen some folks say you can just swap to the aluminum non-M bumper structure and it makes life easier.
                          I ended up never using it on my E46 M3 ZCP track car and switched it on my E46 325 Touring instead.

Yes they are made for non-M aluminum rebar so would be direct fit on a 2001 E46 M3 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

I ended up never using it on my E46 M3 ZCP track car and switched it on my E46 325 Touring instead.

Yes they are made for non-M aluminum rebar so would be direct fit on a 2001 E46 M3 I think.
                            Am I not looking at pictures of it mounted to your M3 with the bumper cover in place?

Comment

Am I not looking at pictures of it mounted to your M3 with the bumper cover in place?
                              I think bumper cover was installed without the rebar just to see fitment of hitch height vs bumper/diffuser and to see fitment of hitch with OEM muffler

Comment

Working...
                              X