Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haimus vs Karbonius Race vs Karbonius CSL airbox

Hey guys

so this seems to have been done to death but I cant find a definitive answer.

Originally I was gonna go the Turner CSL box, but keep seeing issues with it.
    • The Haimus looks the business, and it seems the moving of the IAT port is a good thing. Im guessing the Karbonius ones keep it in the standard location?
    • The Karbonius seems to be the best quality, but would you go the race, or the standard, then spend 400 euros on the snorkel? IMO it looks wrong without the snorkel, as you've got these bolt holes, and this is where the Turner one is good with the bellmouth design.
    • However the Karbonius non-race one still has the hole at the bottom, and Im not sure if thats the best for smooth airflow.
    • The Haimus and Karbonius both have improved port designs compared to OEM, so thats good.
    • I'm in Australia, so once you add shipping, the price difference between the Haimus, Karbonius Race, and Karbonius without snorkel is negligible. 400 euros is a lot for the snorkel though, but I would have to get it if there was a good reason to choose that version.

Or are the latest batch of turner ones good?

Standard E46 M3 bumper, wont be changing to CSL style bumper as all the copies I've seen don't fit well. But mayve if I can get a carbon one from germany its a possibility.

Can i get a definitive answer from anyone who has hopefully seen and held and installed them all?

Cheers

Saad

Snorkel only makes sense if you're planning on running the flap.

Turner box looks good, but Karbonius has been in the game for a while and know what they're doing.

I'd go with them.

And lol Streamline
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Haimus is the old Streamline - do you remember the quality and service that company provided us in 2017-2020 or whatever it was?

I recently ordered a race. Coming from the Evolve, I like the "trunk" design, though I think it's been well enough proven that not having any snorkle or trunk doesn't cause heatsoak when you're moving.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Did Streamline (now Haimus) ever ship a single product that anyone was happy with?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have the Haimus Racing version and so far I’m happy with it. Fitment was good and the finish was good as well. I originally went with Haimus since I prefer the look of the snorkel vs. the carbon fiber look of the karbonious. I never liked the race version since I never liked the elephant trunk design.
          I did read about the stories of streamline from the past but it seems like all the issues were resolved (I hope.)

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Did Streamline (now Haimus) ever ship a single product that anyone was happy with?
            About 200x that were delivered since the recall happened, 20x I've had my eyes on - and one on my S54 who just started up today.

Anyone still hating on Haimus lives in the past.

They've learnt from their mistakes, changed ownership, took over 150,000$ in debt to recall the faulty airboxes and revised the entire design. I've documented this before here.

The gripe you can have over Antonio are delays - but that's 2021-2022 for anyone buying parts.

They make one of the best airbox on the market right below Karbonius if you value the complete carbon snorkel. If you don't, I'd have zero issue with guiding anyone to either brand depending on budget and availability. That's why I curate both.

Turner is a budget box.
            Last edited by Epoustouflant; 09-15-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Nit pick, but if only Haimus would change the carbon weave direction to that of the OEM direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

About 200x that were delivered since the recall happened, 20x I've had my eyes on - and one on my S54 who just started up today.

They've learnt from their mistakes, changed ownership, took over 150,000$ in debt to recall the faulty airboxes and revised the entire design. I've documented this before here.

The gripe you can have over Antonio are delays - but that's 2021-2022 for anyone buying parts.

They make one of the best airbox on the market right below Karbonius if you value the complete carbon snorkel. If you don't, I'd have zero issue with guiding anyone to either brand depending on budget and availability. That's why I curate both.

Turner is a budget box.
                Glad to hear this

Comment

+1 for Haimus, I picked up a fully carbon motorsport version last November.

Been torture testing it ever since. I like the updated IAT location as well, pushing it away from the OFH keeps any possible heat soak to a minimum. 5 year warranty isnt bad either. It would be a hard pick between Karb and Haimus if cost was negligible. Karb is guaranteed quality, but you have the old IAT placement, and i believe it has the extra hole in the plenum for the bumper ducts that you would have to plug if you arent running CSL bumper(?); plus it still has the internal support posts that were common to so many failures. Ive parked right next to a Karb car and they both look great honestly, I personally dont care if the direction of the carbon fiber weave is "wrong" either, unless its OEM its still a rep, so... lol. I also dont get the hate on Haimus (not streamline), from what ive seen other major mfg's experienced the same type of failures with their carbon airboxes, yet no one grabs their pitchforks.

Evolve:

Eventuri:
                  https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...rumpet.241696/

& countless threads of poor design with the turner boxes, Geoff Steel, etc lol

2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                  @ JT_E30

Comment

The quality of the recent haimus boxes certainly seems to be decent but I just have a hard time justifying saving a few hundred dollars when the karb exists.

Probably finally gonna place an order for a new karbonius airbox to replace my old OG geoff steel race box that's been on my car and a racecar prior for close to 10 years. The slightly cheaper options just don't interest me at all. I have a similar dilemma to OP though. I don't really like the elephant trunk design and the 400euro for the carbon snorkel hurts when I prefer the more OEM matte black snorkel piece look. Wonder if it is possible to purchase the haimus snorkel on it's own and fit it to a karb airbox?
                    Last edited by Thoglan; 09-15-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      I got one of streamline CSL bumpers, maybe I got lucky but the fitment of mine was not bad. I smashed that bumper at the track though. I now have the Haimus dry carbon airbox and couldn't be happier. Fitment is perfect, no issues at all. It sounds wicked, makes power, no complaints. The shop I go to for tuning and track prep (JMP autowerkz) has had less then stellar results from Karb boxes and were happier with the few Haimus boxes they had encountered. If I remember correctly their concerns were with the power they made rather than how they looked.

I wouldn't discount the Haimus boxes just because of old forum stigma that may not reflect the real-world anymore...

Last edited by Gearhead55; 09-16-2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

translation: i will vehemently defend their honor now that i do business with them

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

translation: i will vehemently defend their honor now that i do business with them

I would imagine its good practice to stand by the companies you do business with, even better practice if you sell a product you can stand by. The snake-oil salesman joke would have hit harder if his literal next line of text didnt include

I'd have zero issue with guiding anyone to either brand depending on budget and availability. That's why I curate both.
                          2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                          @ JT_E30

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty S50 View Post

I would imagine its good practice to stand by the companies you do business with, even better practice if you sell a product you can stand by. The snake-oil salesman joke would have hit harder if his literal next line of text didnt include

I appreciate the objective response. Glad it’s seen for what it is.

I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise considering he’s on my block list. He doesn’t miss a single opportunity to express his cynicism.

To elaborate; I curate more than products.

This has been learned through difficult experiences with companies making or distributing quality products, but with shady business practices.

Haimus and Karbonius are objectively the top 2 CSL airboxes next to OEM - but most importantly, they are backed by solid warranties and companies that have proven to honour them time and time again.

Having that piece of mind is the ultimate value I want for my builds, and whoever chooses to get on board with how I do things.

Last edited by Epoustouflant; 09-16-2022, 10:18 AM. Reason: mobile spelling (!)

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty S50 View Post

The snake-oil salesman joke would have hit harder if his literal next line of text didnt include
                              the joke wasn't implying he sells snake-oil, it was pointing out that he only promotes/defends companies he stands to profit from. the line you quoted further reinforces that point. conversely, he's gone into full triggered tilts against companies that won't do business with him anymore so i always like to point out that nearly everything he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt

like i've said many times before, im not against him running group buys here, it's clearly a net benefit for the community, but (aside from his temperament), the way he operates here is primarily as a business first

Comment

Working...
                              X