Comprehensive Steering Information Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    Has anyone measured the linearity of the rack travel just off centre?
    The rack/pinion ratio is fixed so the rack travel should be linear to the wheel rotation, the whole range.

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post

The ones I measured I checked if linear, so e36 m3\z3m = progressive...z4mc\roadster, standard z3s, zcp = linear
      thanks for confirming, i just wondered why you hear people say the z3 rack (2.7 LTL) is more twitchy than the 3 turn LTL racks e.g. purple tag on the highway when they are geared the same.
      I did note the 2nd post it says one is 50mm/rev vs 53mm/rev so actually not geared the same unlike stated on other resources.

Comment

Anyone know where to source the power steering shims, or the dimensions?
        Last edited by Lavatoad; 09-13-2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

thanks for confirming, i just wondered why you hear people say the z3 rack (2.7 LTL) is more twitchy than the 3 turn LTL racks e.g. purple tag on the highway when they are geared the same.
          I did note the 2nd post it says one is 50mm/rev vs 53mm/rev so actually not geared the same unlike stated on other resources.
          Placebo effect is one hell of a drug.

As far as I'm aware, nothing faster than 50mm/rev has been identified thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Placebo effect is one hell of a drug.

As far as I'm aware, nothing faster than 50mm/rev has been identified thus far.
            53.5mm/rev stated in this thread post #3? Maybe it’s erroneous

Comment

I've always wanted to drive a car with a yellow or purple rack and see if it feels any heavier. My blue tag is pretty light.
              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

53.5mm/rev stated in this thread post #3? Maybe it’s erroneous
                From what I measured I think its a mistake..I specifically measured multiple z3 racks from multiple cars (couple 1.9, 2.5). They were all the same. The real puzzling one to me is the z4m coupe vs roadster rack. I measure both and again they were identical (50mm\rev), but in this case I believe even BMW reports the coupes as having a quicker steering ratio. Not sure what that's about.

The OP of this thread needed photos to update the post and avoid misinformation but I didn't take any at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
                  Anyone know where to source the power steering shims?
                  Send a PM to Volke (OP of this thread).
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                    I've always wanted to drive a car with a yellow or purple rack and see if it feels any heavier. My blue tag is pretty light.
                    Shim it?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Send a PM to Volke (OP of this thread).
                      OP hasn't been on since March of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                        You could just put on an underdrive pulley
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

You could just put on an underdrive pulley
                          Not the same. An underdrive pulley doesn't do anything to lower the system pressure. It spins the pump slower and increases the likelihood of cavitating the pump at low RPMs. The PS pump is a PD vane pump and those do not tolerate cavitation.

I'd have to do some math but I'm pretty sure the pump reaches the operating pressure fairly quickly. The shims lower the operating pressure by opening the pump pressure relief/regulator at a lower PSI which increases effort but avoids the low RPM cavitation.

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post

From what I measured I think its a mistake..I specifically measured multiple z3 racks from multiple cars (couple 1.9, 2.5). They were all the same. The real puzzling one to me is the z4m coupe vs roadster rack. I measure both and again they were identical (50mm\rev), but in this case I believe even BMW reports the coupes as having a quicker steering ratio. Not sure what that's about.

The OP of this thread needed photos to update the post and avoid misinformation but I didn't take any at the time.
                            Yeah that one is a mystery to me. BMW claims 13.7:1 vs 12.8:1 for the roadster vs coupe. As far as I know suspension is otherwise identical between the two so a geometry change wouldn’t explain the steering difference.

A hypothetical 53.5mm rack would get you to that ratio difference (assuming 50mm = 13.7:1)

More confusingly, the first post indicates the tie rod to control arm distance on the Z4M is the same as the M3 (and longer than the non-M), which means a 50:1 rack should result in a 14.5:1 ratio.

Comment

Wondering if anyone here has heard of the new steering rack LPSR in Australia plans on releasing for the E46. Promises 2.5 turns LTL.

BRAND NEW BMW E46 LHD BLACK LABEL 2.5 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK Due to the incredible success of our Black Label RHD steering rack we have received an overwhelming amount of inquiries from people all over the world asking for a left-hand drive version. We have listened to our customers and decided to help them out! (1) What exactly is our BLACK LABEL 2.5 TURNS SUPER QUICK RACK? -Have you ever heard that the E46 ZHP yellow tag is the best rack? Or is the E46 CSL blue label even better? Purple tag? Quick Z3 rack? Guess what? - our BLACK LABEL beats all of them! SOME TECHNICAL INFO NOW: - Our E46 Black Label 2.5 turns steering rack HAS ALMOST THE SAME parameters as ALL other standard E46 racks. It means: housing (shell), ports orientation, pinion length, pinion angle, pinion splines, threads, rod OD, mounting points, rod length and stroke ARE EXACTLY THE SAME as E46 purple, yellow, silver, blue and green tag. The only difference is obviously the number of turns2.5 lock to lock is a GAME CHANGER. It makes it the QUICKEST rack that you can possibly install in your BMW without heavy modifications implemented to your vehicle. Our E46 BLACK LABEL is incredibly nimble, precise and most importantly not twitchy. Even at high speeds, the steering is very predictable and easy to control. It is a life changer for drifters, racers and everyday drivers!!! *BMW E46 - It is a direct replacement / swap for every LHD BMW E46. *BMW E36 - It is a direct replacement for every LHD BMW E36 (please note you need to use vented inner tie rods! Cannot reuse your E36 inner ones.) *BMW E30 - It is a standard conversion procedure for every LHD BMW E30 as with installing any other E46 steering rack. If you have already installed the E46 steering rack into your E30 - it will be a direct and simple swap. No more mods and hassle required. Product was developed in accordance with Australian Standards. All the work, design, material, specs etc are strictly discussed and approved by Australian Engineer. - This is a high performance product and because of a heavy abusive nature like drifting, racing etc - we offer a 12 months warranty and as always - an endless after sales support. If you live in Australia every steering modification should be discussed / approved by an Australian Engineer. If you live overseas it is your responsibility to know the laws and legislations in your own country. You make all modifications at your own risk and you are liable for any damages you might cause yourself. This product should be installed by professionals.

Comment

I hadn't. Instant buy. Thanks for linking

Comment

Working...
                                X