No announcement yet.

Intermittent Start Issue - no crank sound, will start if gear lever is moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Start Issue - no crank sound, will start if gear lever is moved

Curious if anyone has had a similar issue - my car is having an intermittent (around 1 in 5 starts now) start issue where nothing happens if I turn the key to the crank position, other than lights coming on, no starter noises. Once I move the gear level around through a few positions while keeping key in crank position, it starts right up.

The starter, clutch switch and battery are all new within last 1-3 years. Doesn’t seem to be clutch switch after testing it in INPA and battery is still good.

Any suggestions on things to check are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
    Curious if anyone has had a similar issue - my car is having an intermittent (around 1 in 5 starts now) start issue where nothing happens if I turn the key to the crank position, other than lights coming on, no starter noises. Once I move the gear level around through a few positions while keeping key in crank position, it starts right up.

The starter, clutch switch and battery are all new within last 1-3 years. Doesn’t seem to be clutch switch after testing it in INPA and battery is still good.

Any suggestions on things to check are greatly appreciated.
    I don't see why the gear-position-sensor GPS plays a role in this issue, as the clutch switch and the GPS are connected in series and you already pressed down the clutch during starting. Is the car stock or SMG to manual converted?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      I don't see why the gear-position-sensor GPS plays a role in this issue, as the clutch switch and the GPS are connected in series and you already pressed down the clutch during starting. Is the car stock or SMG to manual converted?
      Stock 6MT, not converted. Not very familiar with how the GPS works for a manual car, is that something worth trying to replace as well?

Comment

To close the loop here, I replaced the clutch switch module (with this, which came as an all black part: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61319122700/) and it seems to have fixed my issue - done about a dozen starts with no issues over the weekend. Also seems to have fixed my slightly low idle issue; when clutching in, the car previously would idle below 1K RPMS and almost stall ocassionally, now it idles right at or slightly above 1K. Weird but happy it seems to be working properly now.

Edit: Well I was wrong about the clutch switch resolving this, the intermittent start issue came back a couple weeks after my post, and eventually the car wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be a bad starter (or perhaps a bad connection on the starter), after replacing it starts up without issue. I'm not sure why moving the gear lever would get the car to start when the issue was intermittent, maybe it was enough of a vibration to move the starter into a position where it could engage. Just happy it's resolved.
        Last edited by EYEHAVEYOU; 05-19-2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X