Question about Supersprint Stepped + 63.5mm section 1-2 & muffler choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Supersprint Stepped + 63.5mm section 1-2 & muffler choice

I just bought brand new Supersprint Stepped headers V1 + SS 63.5mm HJS cats section 1 + SS twin tube 63.5mm resonated section 2. Now I am wondering which exhaust to get. Choice is purely based on HP.

I have the following mods to install this winter to go with the newly acquired SS parts:

-Karbonius CSL airbox with OEM air rail/MAP sensor
    -Dinan ITB
    -TMS race pulleys
    -Schricks 280/272 cams
    -HTE tune

I was reading on Supersprint website that the twin tube section 2 is best suited for car with some mods due to 25% extra flow.

My question is: is the OEM muffler can be use with this setup? Any hp loss? The flow is good enough??

And if I go with a SS muffler, is there an advantage between the Race over the Sport (not asking about sound or weight, only hp)?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gt4; 12-02-2022, 06:52 AM.
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Stock muffler actually flows very well, better than other 60mm aftermarket ones. See the white paper -

You;'d probably gain a few more hp with a true 2.5" muffler, however. Scorza, scza, dinan, megan el supremo, magnaflow are the ones that I know of. SS will do it as a custom job.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Stock muffler actually flows very well, better than other 60mm aftermarket ones. See the white paper -

You;'d probably gain a few more hp with a true 2.5" muffler, however. Scorza, scza, dinan, megan el supremo, magnaflow are the ones that I know of. SS will do it as a custom job.
      Thanks for answering

Good to know that Supersprint will do custom job!

Comment

Going to say I noticed a marked improvement when going from OEM to Eisenmann Sport backbox, so, not saying the OEM backbox flows bad, but wouldn't claim it flows better than an Eisenmann either. With spending on all those mods I would certainly find a suitable upgrade there too.

Regards

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the supersprint race muffler has 2.5" inlets so that would be my choice since it would be a true 2.5" all the way through
          2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Originally posted by whoissuprme View Post
            If I'm not mistaken the supersprint race muffler has 2.5" inlets so that would be my choice since it would be a true 2.5" all the way through
            I've never seen that mentioned before, let alone confirmed with photos of the pipes being mic'd.

All SS products besides v1s (and dual pipe sect2) are natively 60mm (2.36"). SS will make any sec 3 in 2.5" if you ask for it.

The intial OD of the pipe that slips over the sect 2 outlet will start out at 63.5mm (to slip over the 60mm sect 2 outlet), then step back down to 60mm after about 4 inches.

By contrast, a true 2.5" muffler like my scorza (OM) or scza (SGT) starts out at 2.5" and doesn't step down at all.

See this step down on the SS race from 2.5" to 2.36": (only on the outer pipe that slips over sect 2)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ssrace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	194725
            Last edited by Tbonem3; 12-02-2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

The only con about the stock muffler is that fact that it can anchor a US aircraft carrier.

If you had one and hacked it up so that it became 2.5" all the way through I'm sure it would do fine.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I am in the same boat with all the SS headers, cats and sec.2 as you. I went with Dinan based on this article. I wanted something quieter but has the same diameter.

Now waiting for the Dinan is another story…

We list and review the most popular BMW E46 M3 exhaust systems on the market. This is the ultimate guide to selecting your new M3 exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I run the full SS 63.5mm setup on both of my M3s with SCZA mufflers. Cats on my street car and straight pipes on the track car. I tried a lot of different setups and ultimately landed on this as the best performance/weight/sound option. As mentioned above the SCZA muffler is full 2.5" so there is no restriction.

This isn't very scientific but I did briefly run a stock muffler on my track car back to back with the SCZA muffler. One major difference I noticed is MUCH more exhaust smell in the car with the stock muffler. This led me to believe that it was causing more restriction / back pressure.

Comment

Custom order 2.5" SS Street with the Race tips

Comment

Rogue Engineering will be releasing a 63.5mm El Diablo soon.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Once the Chinese factory is paid, if not too many of their workers have been relocated to the covid camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                          Choice is purely based on HP.

Thanks

100% it's gotta be the Dinan then

they're the only company afaik that publicly claims an objective increase in flow/power

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

100% it's gotta be the Dinan then

they're the only company afaik that publicly claims an objective increase in flow/power
                            I had a Dinan in the past on one of my M3s. I bought it used and tips were faded, it was perfect cause didn’t like the black tips and polished the tips.

I like the sounds it makes, it wasn’t too loud. I also line the straight cut tips. Not a fan of the dummy tips design but at the same time it didn’t bother me while driving!!!

Might buy another one if I find a used one.

I also had a Supersprint Race 15years ago. Really like it back than.
                            Last edited by Gt4; 12-02-2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I've never seen that mentioned before, let alone confirmed with photos of the pipes being mic'd.

All SS products besides v1s (and dual pipe sect2) are natively 60mm (2.36"). SS will make any sec 3 in 2.5" if you ask for it.

The intial OD of the pipe that slips over the sect 2 outlet will start out at 63.5mm (to slip over the 60mm sect 2 outlet), then step back down to 60mm after about 4 inches.

By contrast, a true 2.5" muffler like my scorza (OM) or scza (SGT) starts out at 2.5" and doesn't step down at all.

See this step down on the SS race from 2.5" to 2.36": (only on the outer pipe that slips over sect 2)

Click image for larger version Name:	ssrace.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	194725
                              Ah so it's a step down! This makes more sense. Maybe I can have my fab guy just make it 2.5" if I really wanted that badly lol
                              2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X