Upper Steering Joint Discrepancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Steering Joint Discrepancy?

Noticed a discrepancy that doesn't make a lot of sense to me after checking realoem but allegedly bmw changed the upper steering joint that connects between the steering column and steering joint for post 11/03 cars BUT what is very odd is there there is no change in the steering columns for M3 and non-m for the entire E46 production run outside of auto vs manual transmission based rack for the interlock. Normally, who cares right? Well I was looking at changing this on my 05 ZHP soon and they are indeed DOUBLE the price of the pre 11/03 version. Now each of my E46s fall in both categories. The M3 is an 11/02 build with a ZHP rack and I have the earlier part number for the upper column.

Both the facelift sedan and M3 have the same rack and steering u joint (post 4/01 production version) connected to the rack which connects to the keyed part of the steering joint, so that leads me to believe that the only discernible​ difference between the two is possibly the spline count on the upper part of the joint BUT realoem shows the steering columns for all E46s are not build date specific, just transmission based for the interlock vs not, so WTH.

Anyone compared both units or run into this issue? I'm tempted to order the earlier version for half the price because I don't see how the fitment could be different.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.16.03 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	425.1 KB ID:	194832

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.23.45 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	500.5 KB ID:	194834

This just sounds like BMW being BMW and charging LCI tax lol. And yes for anyone wondering this affects the E46 M3 as well for 11/03+ production.
    Attached Files
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Don't know about discrepancy, but does the telescoping part or the ujoint at the top wear out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
      Don't know about discrepancy, but does the telescoping part or the ujoint at the top wear out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I replaced mine on the M3 in 2018 and it made a big difference in restoring some road feel when the joint had some play. I just don't see how the facelift one is different. BMW didn't reengineer the chassis or the column lol
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Working...
      X