Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a trick to disconnecting the bottom radiator hose ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a trick to disconnecting the bottom radiator hose ?

I had zero issues pulling the top hose (metal clip up, then twist/pull). But the bottom one will NOT come off, from top of bottom access. Does not move at all vs the radiator.. The whole radiator assembly seems to come along for the ride - maybe a broken tab or something ? so I have zero purchase. Twisting is not an option there is no room...

I had to admit defeat and simply replaced the sensor there instead of doing the entire job (thermostat stuck open). At some point my hood closed funny and was stuck too - cooling system open and empty, LOL, so I had no coolant and a hood that would not reopen, it was a fun cursing afternoon... At least I was able to button it back up in the end and burp it correctly, apparently, so no harm done and the old O rings on the thermostat tube thingie (which I was supposed to replace but could not) don't leak (yet)... I may have to farm this out, which really annoys me.

Pull clip up and wiggle until it comes off and you bust your knuckles. Takes some force. Reinstall with some superlube on the oring for easier removal next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had good experience using a. Screwdriver or short pry to incredibly carefully lever. But keep in mind if you lever to hard you could break the plastic on the radiator end.

use a combination of levering and pulling while twisting.

Comment

No trick, it just sticks horribly to the radiator. As others say, pull up the clip and good luck

Regards

Comment

Leverage
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I had a right battle with mine. Couldn't get the temp sensor out either. Eventually got hose off with much swearing and a bit of leverage from underneath but easy to break plastic things if you go crazy on it.

Was quite hard to get back on as well. I wasnt smart enough to use some sort of lube to get it back on at the time. I was well over it by then.

Comment

after you lift up the clip, Gently use a pry bar to push out the plastic connection while gently wiggling the hose with your hand. It slowly and surely will come apart. Use the radiator tab near by as the leverage point. Also, make sure you are prying on the the plastic radiator hose and not the plastic radiator side.

Comment

Try silicone spray, a lot of curse words, and to “pull on it like your life depends on it.” I decided while I was in there I would replace it all and did a full cooling overhaul, replaced the rad and did pulleys and tensioners; gave up and just removed the lower rad hose from the thermostat housing rather than from the rad itself.
                Last edited by Stilt; 12-29-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X