SMG Slave Cylinder removal/install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Slave Cylinder removal/install

Hi There - Just wondering if any one had some advice for removing and reinstalling the slave cylinder so that it doesn't break, last time i tried removing and uninstalling, it broke and had to buy a new one.

Thanks in advanced.

Best,
    irhase46m3

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post
    Hi There - Just wondering if any one had some advice for removing and reinstalling the slave cylinder so that it doesn't break, last time i tried removing and uninstalling, it broke and had to buy a new one.

Thanks in advanced.

Best,
    irhase46m3
    If by break you mean the metal push rod doesn't self center and wanders freely that is by design. There is a one time use clip that breaks after installation, so yes the re-installation of a used slave cylinder gets a little trickier.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

To avoid the old salve cylinder's limp rod issue (sounds familiar?), the goal is to install the slave with the rod pushing the clutch fork. To do that, extend the rod out as far as it can but still stable, and fill with SMG fluid, then plug the fill hole with a threaded plug (screw or anything you can find) so the fluid cannot leak. With the compressed slave rod, install it so the erected rod pushing against the dimple on the fork. Then, slowly remove the threaded plug and connect the SMG pipe to the slave.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        To avoid the old salve cylinder's limp rod issue (sounds familiar?), the goal is to install the slave with the rod pushing the clutch fork. To do that, extend the rod out as far as it can but still stable, and fill with SMG fluid, then plug the fill hole with a threaded plug (screw or anything you can find) so the fluid cannot leak. With the compressed slave rod, install it so the erected rod pushing against the dimple on the fork. Then, slowly remove the threaded plug and connect the SMG pipe to the slave.
        My experience agrees with sapote’s suggestion. Trying to install the slave dry is prone to failure. I filled the slave with the hydraulic fluid, bled it, compressed the plunger, capped off the hydraulic line so the plunger would not spring back as quickly.

Its a messy process. Have patience or you will break something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sapote & Eacmen - Thank you both. One final question, can i remove the slave without removing its hydraulic line and just reinstall? What im thinking here, since i didnt open the system the rod should already be erected enough to land against the dimple on the fork?

Comment

Sapote & Eacmen - Thank you both. One final question, can i remove the slave without removing its hydraulic line and just reinstall? What im thinking here, since i didnt open the system the rod should already be erected enough to land against the dimple on the fork?
            I'm not sure if the slave could be remove with the metal pipe connected, but yeah, the rod should still erect to land on the dimple. Double check this before turn on the ignition key.

Comment

I think you can remove the slave with the pipe connected.

Comment

Thank you both again, successfully reinstalled!

Comment

Thank you both again, successfully reinstalled!
                  did you take the slave out with pipe attached?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

did you take the slave out with pipe attached?

Yes, i did not need to open the system, i have the burkhart engineering relocation kit so there is more slack in the line and I could pull it more than usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X