Auto HVAC - Dead/Damaged Pixels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto HVAC - Dead/Damaged Pixels

This morning I fired up the M3 and the HVAC display screen has multiple pixels glowing orange and obscuring the temperature readout. I've been searching around the forum and all of the "dead pixel" detail centers around NAV screen issues. Really want to avoid shelling out $1k for a brand-new unit so hopefully, we have options to replace the screen. The manual HVAC controller is also half the price. Honestly, I could lean that way to eliminate the screen issue entirely...but I'm hoping someone on here has gone through this before or can point me in the right direction.
    2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

In my country you can find hundreds of these used for around 10 bucks. I can’t imagine the US being any different.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

These are not M3 specific. Go to a Wrecker with a few E46 3 series and find one. You have an 02 (?) so this could be a time to swap in a refresh unit as well. I'm sure other BMW from the same era might use the unit as well.

Cost like 10 to 20 bucks. It is a gamble you might find one with the same issues but for how cheap they are you could find a few to get one that works. While your there you can try and grab a few other little bits that commonly break or go missing, like the reteiners for the airbags electrical connectors, panel screws, ect.
      Last edited by Lee_Enfield; 12-20-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

eBay "BMW E46 Climate"... $40 all day long.

maw

Comment

As others suggested, get a used one from a later E46. BMW updated the part and the button layout is slightly different.

Comment

Manual HVAC + csl radio delete plate is a vibe.

If i'm not mistaken, the vent control (winshield, face, feet) option won't work, (or can't all work at once) i forget.

but at the end of the day, i would just ebay one.
            Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 12-22-2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L0okitzRaj View Post
              Manual HVAC + csl radio delete plate is a vibe.

Don't have the manual HVAC (didnt even realise that existed until now, might have to look into getting one :P) but factory delete panel is the way to go, looks so much cleaner. I just use a bluetooth speaker for the odd occasion that I am listening to something while driving. Lighter and sounds good enough for what I do with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221223_170527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	197272
              Last edited by Thoglan; 12-22-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X