PSA: Door / Window Rattle <Regulator Cable Clip Broken>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: Door / Window Rattle <Regulator Cable Clip Broken>

Just wanted to post this to the forum for something I recently encountered: A severe rattle from my passenger door over bumps, particularly when the window is completely in the closed position.

Turns out, a cable clip securing the regulator cable in place had broken and allowed the regulator cable to vibrate inside the door panel. Replacement of the clip requires removal of the panel and vapor barrier and is difficult to photograph--it's nearly entirely done by feel (replacement of the clip.). Interesting that this clip is not present on sedans.

Below is a video on YouTube of what I encountered and there is verification on other E46 forums of this same problem (sorry not to cross post).

Window regulator cable rattling. Fault was small clip was broken which holds upper regulator cable near inside door handle in the door. You can buy this blac...

The clip that had broken is number 4 in the diagram, P/N 61131387626.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 6.20.34 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	528.6 KB ID:	198727

Hope this helps anyone out there, as I couldn't find anything on the topic searching this forum.
    Attached Files

Quick post to update with a photo of where to actually see this clip when it is properly in position. There is a door trim clip hole in the panel through which you can see the clip and when the clip is not there, you can feel the cut out in the steel where the clip would otherwise engage. Note that this clip is used in the engine compartment to secure the radiator expansion tank tube to the rad support and the steel cutout profile is the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window_Clip_Position.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	199057

Comment

Clip in question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
        Clip in question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That is a different clip that holds a different cable section in place. But, related for sure!

This is the clip I'm referring to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window_Clip.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	199121

Comment

Ha, I bet that was a fun diagnostic and replacement!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Thank you!!!

I had a rattle that's befuddled me for the past 3+ years now it's fixed.

I forgot there was the upper window regulator cable (out of sight out of mind) even when I had taken off the door panel and moisture barrier. It sounded like a wooden spoon rattling from inside door or body inside the right rear passenger panel.

Comment

I had this exact problem. One day it randomly started rattling over bumps in the road, and I found the clip had unclipped from the sheet metal in the door. The clip itself was still intact, and attached to the cable. I was able to reattach it to the inside of the door and hear it "click" into place.

As soon as I rolled the window all the way up, it broke! It appears that when the window reaches the highest point, the cables get tight and cause the cable to 'jerk' a little. Enough to break the brittle clip. I ended up using a small zip tie and loosely holding it to the clip mounting point. Nice and quiet now.

So thankful for this forum for the knowledge sharing! All you need to do is pull your door card off, pull up the lower part of your vapor barrier, and reach your arms up in there to access the cable and mounting point. A flashlight shining inside the door from the bottom helps you see what's going on by looking through the tiny hole mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
              X