SSK Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSK Reviews

What are some of you running and why do you like the SSK you chose? How was the install process?

I'm in between the UUC Evo 3 and the Rogue Engineering OCTANE kit. I'm due for a refresh on this so I might as well go with an SSK.

I went with the autosolutions 25% throw reduction and have been all smiles. Shifts feel precise. Install was done by my trusty bmw Indy shop so can’t commment there

Comment

Auto solutions is the best out there.

I'm currently on the 20% kit, but whenever the trans is out for something else I'll be changing out to the 0% kit.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I've been running my Autosolutions Ultra kit for twelve years problem free. I think it's 30% reduction if I recall correctly,there wasn't a choice in 2008. I use the original shift knob and it's perfect for me. Love it.

Comment

Another vote for Autosolutions. I have the 30% reduction ssk and I really like it. In my opinion, the kit isn’t terribly notchy.

I have experience with OEM, the “performance ssk”, B&M and Autosolutions. As I said, Autosolutions has my vote. The B&M isn’t half bad and when mine wore out, they sent out a refresh kit FOR FREE with no questions asked. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have no personal experience with the RE or UUC kits.

Comment

I have the "AutoCross" version of the Autosolutions kit, I believe at 25%. IMO it's perfect. Not too notchy, not too much effort, throws are just right. I don't think I'd enjoy 0% nearly as much (and the trend I've noticed is that tall people seem to like the long throws while short people such as myself prefer the short throws so YMMV there).

Comment

Well a lot has to deal with what you want to gain and how much you'd like to spend. I've had several over the years from UUC, R.E. and AutoSolutions. The kit that does the best and touches all areas is the AutoSolutions kit. Really is a work of art. Both Rogue and UUC have good kits for less. I liked the UUC and then liked the RE lever even more. I like the UUC direct sheer selector rod (DSSR)design over Rogue's weighted selector rod (WSR). But for a precison SSK the AS one is best imho.

As for install, none are fun without access to a lift. With a lift it's a lot easier but still work. With no lift it's a pita. To give an example, there's actually a clip that is known in the bmw world as "the bitch clip" because it's such a pita. Seriously, it's called that everywhere. (Trick here is to use a pick and slide it to release it).
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I always see everyone praising the AS SSK as the best, even on the old M3F, and makes wonder if theres something up with my AS 30% kit or just badly installed? My car came with it and in my 2.5 years of ownership Ive gone though countless different shift knobs to try and make it more 'enjoyable'. With the ZHP knob it came with it was insanely notchy and even rough to get out of gear into the next sometimes.

My tranny is fine with no synchro issues and fluid hanged twice in my ownership (currently running Ravenol), but I've resorted to making my own custom extended weighted shift knob just to smoothen it out. I usually run that or the Jaffster V2, a knob i dont particular like but I need the tallness for leverage. Even with the 'tall ZHP' anatomic OEM knob it's too notchy and downshifts are a chore. I've considered removing it and going to OEM with new bushings.
                Last edited by BigRussia; 05-02-2020, 03:20 PM.
                2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                Instagram
                Youtube

Comment

Is your ZHP knob the weighted type or the non-weighted one?

Comment

I don't like an ssk for this car. It's water, and our getrag is oil. Stock with some small improvements is great. You need the leverage with this difficult getrag. A lot of mods feel great, especially if they're quite different like 40% Autosolutions and 4.10s etc; people give their initial impressions, but don't usually report that they don't like it as much anymore.

0-20% is pretty low and AS is so well crafted, it's the exception imo.

My idea of perfect after 11 years and the 1st thing I did in the 128i is fresh stock parts (including fluid) except front delrin carrier bushing (ebay), and a weighted, stock height M knob. Slightly heavier than zhp, prettier, doesn't come with boot attached either. #25117896884. I also threw on a weighted dssr on e46, but don't think they're needed much. Maybe they help a little, make it a little easier.

Lastly, I don't believe a shorter throw makes you faster. If you arm can move faster than the tranny can take anyway, then you can adjust your speed for whatever shifter. I shift the same, ssk or not and I've had 2 e36/e46. A longer throw is smoother. Smoother can be faster perhaps; it is in many things ;P
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

+1 for Autosolutions. I had the 40% kit, although it was a little notchy, it was still pretty awesome. I have a 30% in my garage somewhere that'll be for sale soon now that I no longer have an M. I kept it around in case I ended up back in one...it was that good IMO.

Comment

Another vote for AS. It's an exceptional piece of gear. I bought a 30% kit to go with a 6.5" knob for use with a LWFW. Would opt for 20% or less on the stock knob.

Stock shifter/knob (not ZHP)/flywheel is also a good experience IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jixer77 View Post
                          What are some of you running and why do you like the SSK you chose? How was the install process?

I'm in between the UUC Evo 3 and the Rogue Engineering OCTANE kit. I'm due for a refresh on this so I might as well go with an SSK.
                          I went with the BMW "performance" SSK over the AS kit because of the cost. I don't like it. It leans too much to the right My 3rd gear shifts always feel wrong coming from a mazda miata 6 speed. This is my first SSK, so is third gear off center on all SSK kits?
                          Attached Files
                          Garage:
                          2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
                          1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

Thank you All. I'm looking into the AS kit for sure after all the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post
                              I went with the BMW "performance" SSK over the AS kit because of the cost. I don't like it. It leans too much to the right My 3rd gear shifts always feel wrong coming from a mazda miata 6 speed. This is my first SSK, so is third gear off center on all SSK kits?
                              Well that's a Short shifting Lever and not a true Short Shift Kit. In a SSK the lever is only part of it. But yes because of the different lever bends and fulcrum points they can sit differently between brands/versions.
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X