AMS Autogroup SMG Conversion kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMS Autogroup SMG Conversion kit

Hello all. I have been looking at this kit for some time https://amsautomotivegroup.com/produ...conversion-kit. I like the idea of having everything in a kit so I wouldn’t have to source the parts myself. I had a few questions and they were pretty responsive. Placed order for this kit back in beginning of November. Credit card was charged and I would check up on the order every few weeks and they would respond pretty quick. Last email I received from them was the 27th of December saying that they were going to look into my order. Since then, I haven’t heard anything from them. I’ve sent 3 emails and no response. I’ve called the number on the website and it goes straight to voicemail. I find it weird that they would go radio silent like that. I’m thinking of calling my Amex to dispute the charge but wanted to first check with you guys if anyone knows anything about this place or has had previous experience with them. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I didn't order their conversion kit but I did order the 2003.5+ model year wiring harness for PDC/mirror dip recently.

They were very prompt with their responses and the item arrived in a short time as expected.

Perhaps an item or two in the kit might be a delaying the order?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
      I didn't order their conversion kit but I did order the 2003.5+ model year wiring harness for PDC/mirror dip recently.

They were very prompt with their responses and the item arrived in a short time as expected.

Perhaps an item or two in the kit might be a delaying the order?
      yes they were very prompt when I had questions in the past and now all of a sudden no answers for the past 3 weeks. What raises suspiciousness is when I call, it goes to voicemail.
      Last edited by S54Mickey; 01-18-2023, 06:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

That is odd, but not dissimilar from what I experienced. I ordered the modified bellhousing a couple random seals, the the coding option, and the wiring kit.

the bellhousing turnaround was super fast… and none of the other parts were included until I inquired. Then those showed up a week or two later. This was in the October timeframe.

I think was Derek I talked to there?

I’ve still yet to do the coding and hope they’re still in business…

Comment

Originally posted by S54Mickey View Post

yes they were very prompt when I had questions in the past and now all of a sudden no answers for the past 3 weeks. What raises suspiciousness is when I call, it goes to voicemail.
          Any update?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh6390 View Post

Any update?
            I called Amex and disputed the charge. Two days later, I hear back from Derek explaining that he was sick earlier this month and was playing catch up. He apologized and said that my order was ready to ship. He gave me the option to either cancel the order or proceed with it. I chose to proceed with it. I called Amex again and cancelled the dispute. Waiting now for a tracking number. If I don't get it soon enough, I will dispute again and just cancel the order all together. I hope it doesn't get to that point since I am really looking forward to the conversion.

Comment

I called Amex and disputed the charge. Two days later, I hear back from Derek explaining that he was sick earlier this month and was playing catch up. He apologized and said that my order was ready to ship. He gave me the option to either cancel the order or proceed with it. I chose to proceed with it. I called Amex again and cancelled the dispute. Waiting now for a tracking number. If I don't get it soon enough, I will dispute again and just cancel the order all together. I hope it doesn't get to that point since I am really looking forward to the conversion.
              Did you get the kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubaderb View Post

Did you get the kit?
                Yes, I did. So far so good. Now just need to get it done.

Comment

Yes, I did. So far so good. Now just need to get it done.
                  That is good to hear. I have been eyeing the kit for awhile but heard through here and Facebook groups that communication and shipping was lacking.

Comment

Having strange issues with AMS as well. Purchased the kit. First of all, what you see on the website isn't what you get. They don't give you a BMW shifter, rather they give you their own AMS shifter which has a lot of play in it. They don't give you the same mounting hardware as their website shows either. There are two important gaskets one for the firewall for the clutch master cylinder which is not included and the other for the clutch pedal to clutch slave cylinder. Both are missing. I did not receive my RTV which was supposed to be included and was told 'it ships with the bellhousing once you send yours in.' I sent the bellhousing and they claimed they clean it, but they didn't and they returned it without the RTV, so I had to buy that too. Communication with Derek was okay in the beginning, but all of a sudden he has gone dead silent. Oh, the tube from the clutch master to the reservoir was also not correctly sized. I had to order the OE version.

I can forgive false advertising if you are a nice person and I'm willing to work with you on forgetting things or bad service in general as long as you are helpful and responsive. But when you order a kit thinking you are getting BMW parts which the website makes it seem like you are, and then all of a sudden everything is bargain basement, missing or just wrong then we have a problem. The only reason I chose AMS was because of a YouTube video from ShopLife and also because I was doing the math on the kit components on buying separate versus all at one place. I had my spreadsheet out and everything and it made sense to buy from one location just due to convenience. But that was under the reasonable assumption that I was comparing OE/BMW part pricing with the kit price. Had I known so much would be missing, I would have never gone the AMS route.

You've been warned. Derek is a very nice guy on the phone and really put me at ease after reading the posts above. Don't know if he has personal issues or not, depression or bi-polar, but completely breaking off all communication is not how to run a business. The clutch slave cylinder he sent me, cheap part not OE, had an internal leak. He said he'd ship out a new one two weekends ago. Nothing. Then he said he shipped it last week and I asked for tracking. Nothing, no response. Texts, emails, just nothing at all. Here I am waiting Friday and Saturday for a part because I need to get my car back on the road. I ended up ordering the OE part from FCP Euro and I'm going to go with Hassan for the coding. I should have listened to my gut after reading the posts in this thread but I got suckered by the 'nice guy' routine on the phone. Shame on me, at my age I should have known better.

Comment

Glad I found this thread. I just bought a 2005 Titanium Silver M3 with SMG and beginning to research the conversion. I was looking into the AMS kit, I like the idea of a complete kit and current part pricing make the AMS kit cheaper. Based on the feedback it is probably not worth the savings. Sounds like it will end up costing me more.

Comment

Originally posted by aziego View Post
                        Glad I found this thread. I just bought a 2005 Titanium Silver M3 with SMG and beginning to research the conversion. I was looking into the AMS kit, I like the idea of a complete kit and current part pricing make the AMS kit cheaper. Based on the feedback it is probably not worth the savings. Sounds like it will end up costing me more.
                        Do yourself a favor and purchase the components individually yourself. This is what I should have done. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend getting an Autosolutions shifter. Take your time and do it right, it will be worth it.

Comment

Where can I buy Auto Solutions shifter? I was going aftermarket for shifter as it appears that is the cheaper option than OEM which is a plus in my book. Was thinking of Rogue Engineering.

Comment

Where can I buy Auto Solutions shifter? I was going aftermarket for shifter as it appears that is the cheaper option than OEM which is a plus in my book. Was thinking of Rogue Engineering.
                            Either stock with an OE shifter or get auto solutions. Anything else will be sub par. And after buying AS shifters I lean more and more towards OE.

Comment

Contact Robert and get in his production queue. He's currently on holiday break till January. After seeing videos of the AS AX SSK, I am super excited to get mine for my manual conversion.

I am planning to get the AMS detent kit and buy everything else separately.

Comment

Working...
                              X