Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They don't make 'em like they used to . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't make 'em like they used to . . .

I received an interesting call from my shop earlier today to relay some information that was worth sharing.

My cooling system is being entirely refreshed on my 2004 that has 141k on it. To everyone's shock, the car had its original water pump, alternator, radiator, plastic fan blades and clutch fan. Aside from years (and miles) of road grime/gunk, there wasn't a leak or issue anywhere. Date stamps on the parts confirmed they were the factory originals. Go figure.

In terms of cooling performance, the temp gauge behaved, but would creep up when it was hot outside (85+) and I had the A/C running. Without the A/C, the temp gauge stayed right at the center point.

In terms of performance performance, I am having an Evolve airbox installed to complete the cooling system refresh. While you're in there, right?!

Interesting! Same thing on my 211k mile vert. It was used in Miami and SoCal so the cooling system def got a workout. I was shocked.

Comment

My 02 (I'm lone owner) has all the original above, except the alternator, and I'm in Tucson. Never a problem in 110F+ temps, but you can still eat off my motor as well. No doubt that helps.

Comment

Man, y'all would really be impressed by the average Japanese car.

Comment

I am at nearly 200k miles on original cooling system.
          The whole cooling system exploding comes more from the non-M cars that are a bit sensitive, the M3 is solid.

That being said, I am going to replace the water pump and radiator, they deserve retirement at this point.
          E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
          E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
          E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
            In terms of cooling performance, the temp gauge behaved, but would creep up when it was hot outside (85+) and I had the A/C running. Without the A/C, the temp gauge stayed right at the center point.
            That is not remotely close to functioning as new. Imagine if you actually put a load on the cooling system

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
            The whole cooling system exploding comes more from the non-M cars that are a bit sensitive, the M3 is solid.

That being said, I am going to replace the water pump and radiator, they deserve retirement at this point.
            Eh, my water pump exploded at 97,000 miles.

Luckily I already had the parts on hand for my 100,000 mile refresh, so it only cost me a couple hours of downtime.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Luckily I already had the parts on hand for my 100,000 mile refresh, so it only cost me a couple hours of downtime.
              That's about the same mileage when I replaced mine. It was still operational but had first signs of leakage and considerable play.
              Although I only detected it when assessing the damage from the clutch fan exploding on me...

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

I am absolutely not recommending anyone to keep going for 200k without changing the cooling system.

My car previously has had an easy life as a commuter. Probably an anomaly and not the best example.
                E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

in my experience, the e46 m3 has a much lower threshold on the gauge. My gauge would creep up at 204F vs my daily e46 m54 wagon that didn't budge in the middle at 240F. LOL

Comment

97k miles on a BMW water pump is an eternity. I'm sure some of these systems can last a long time. Depends on whether you want to take the chance...the chances of a coolant system issue is pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
                      ​l:
                      I think this is more by the collected debris in front of the AC condenser and radiator, than the old radiator. Take the rad out and blow the debris off on both from the rear side.
                      OEM M3 water pump is a much better design than non M.
                      The alternator brushes can last up to around 180K miles. This is the parts that worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                        Interesting! Same thing on my 211k mile vert. It was used in Miami and SoCal so the cooling system def got a workout. I was shocked.
                        Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
                        My 02 (I'm lone owner) has all the original above, except the alternator, and I'm in Tucson. Never a problem in 110F+ temps, but you can still eat off my motor as well. No doubt that helps.
                        Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

This is really cool. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The biggest disappointment is that my tech was able to point to a few parts that he said might last 3 years. Manufactured to fail, I suppose.

The Porsche world is an entirely different beast when it comes to maintaining original parts. Not only is it a key to future value, but the original parts on/for early 911s are in a league of their own. I have a '71 911 and knowing the right guy to refurbish your carbs, rebuild original fuel pump and/or refinish your fan is the only way to live. We spend weeks trying to preserve a single part to keep things original and because parts were just made better back then. Way better.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I think this is more by the collected debris in front of the AC condenser and radiator, than the old radiator. Take the rad out and blow the debris off on both from the rear side.
                          OEM M3 water pump is a much better design than non M.
                          The alternator brushes can last up to around 180K miles. This is the parts that worn out.
                          THIS is exactly what happened. I like a clean slate, so everything was replaced but my shop was quick to point out that there was a lot of gunk in/around the condenser.

Comment

This is incredible... and here I am at near 70k with a water pump making all kinds of racket. I purchased a new one, and gonna drop it in as soon as the weather gets a little nicer.

Comment

168k on the original pump before it started to weep and replaced with new. As posted the M3 water pump is a heavier duty than non-Ms.
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X