Opinion: Valve adjustment 10k early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion: Valve adjustment 10k early?

Was about to do my valve cover gasket (as it's leaking, freaking Victor-Reinz gasket started leaking after 20k, never again) when I checked my spreadsheet and saw that the valve adjustment was done at the same time: 134k, and I'm at 153k right now. So I'm 19k into having them adjusted, with 30k being the adjustment suggestion from BMW (from what I could find, if someone knows otherwise please chime in)

I'm thinking I have two options -
    Option 1 - do the valve cover gasket now, and then do the valve adjustment in 10k. I bought my entire VCG kit from FCP so I can always warranty them out. So when I do it again in 10k, send it out, get a new one, and install it.

Option 2 - do the VCG and a valve adjustment 10k early.

The reason I don't really want to do option 2 is that my VCG is leaking, it's the weekend, I want to just get it done and I don't have the tools to do the valve adjustment on hand. I'm debating to not do it and hold off as I'll waste a VCG to only take it out again in 10k (I know they're reusable but I always replace mine anyways.)

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

The valve adjustment is so easy once you have it all apart, it will only take you 20 minutes to check. I would rather do it while I was replacing the leaky VCG rather than taking it all apart just to check valves - if that makes sense.

From my experience though, they don't move that much. I wouldn't fret either way.

I think these "OEM" vcg's are faulty or something. I reused my stock original one so many times and it never leaked. It was 15 years old and 100k miles and still not leaking.

Comment

Might as well do the valves early IMO.

But I was under the impression the OEM valve cover gasket was made of viton and reusable (within reason that is), if so, I don't see the harm in doing the VCG now and reusing it in 10k's time if you get the valve cover off without slaughtering the VCG in the process, and also that the next 10k won't take 10 years but will be within a reasonable timeframe.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
        Might as well do the valves early IMO.

But I was under the impression the OEM valve cover gasket was made of viton and reusable (within reason that is), if so, I don't see the harm in doing the VCG now and reusing it in 10k's time if you get the valve cover off without slaughtering the VCG in the process, and also that the next 10k won't take 10 years but will be within a reasonable timeframe.

Regards
        Yeah this is true, I just always try to replace it anyways considering the price on the item, labor involved, and not having to do it again immediately from potential leaks. I appreciate the input though!

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        The valve adjustment is so easy once you have it all apart, it will only take you 20 minutes to check. I would rather do it while I was replacing the leaky VCG rather than taking it all apart just to check valves - if that makes sense.

From my experience though, they don't move that much. I wouldn't fret either way.

I think these "OEM" vcg's are faulty or something. I reused my stock original one so many times and it never leaked. It was 15 years old and 100k miles and still not leaking.
        Really only 20 minutes to check them? Can you explain a bit further? I've been watching all kinds of valve adjustment videos and reading that it could take 6 hours to do the actual adjustment. I take a long time when I work on my car so I would think this would be something that I would need to plan a full weekend for instead of only half a day.

For sure you're right on these "OEM" ones, I remember you chiming in on my other post trying to diagnose this leak. Never going with another gasket other than OEM BMW.​​
        - Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post

Yeah this is true, I just always try to replace it anyways considering the price on the item, labor involved, and not having to do it again immediately from potential leaks. I appreciate the input though!

Really only 20 minutes to check them? Can you explain a bit further? I've been watching all kinds of valve adjustment videos and reading that it could take 6 hours to do the actual adjustment. I take a long time when I work on my car so I would think this would be something that I would need to plan a full weekend for instead of only half a day.

For sure you're right on these "OEM" ones, I remember you chiming in on my other post trying to diagnose this leak. Never going with another gasket other than OEM BMW.​​
          Yeah checking them is pretty fast. You can do 4 at a time. Rotate the cam. 4 more. etc. until all 24 are done. The 6 hours is probably start to finish with all the other stuff (plastics, coils, valve cover).

Adjusting them is as easy as swapping a shim.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

Yeah checking them is pretty fast. You can do 4 at a time. Rotate the cam. 4 more. etc. until all 24 are done. The 6 hours is probably start to finish with all the other stuff (plastics, coils, valve cover).

Adjusting them is as easy as swapping a shim.
            Got it ok! I've not done it before yet so that's also why I'm quite hesitant about it and trying to plan more time than needed.

I think especially when doing it alone it can be a bit daunting haha I miss the days when I was in the garage with my buddies messing around, breaking things, heading to autozone, getting sandwiches - now it's me, a beer and silence. Also nice, but different, and nerve-racking when something doesn't go right!
            - Jonathan

Comment

No way it should take 6 hours even with all the disassembly / reassembly of the other parts. And you've gone far enough to replace the VCG you've literally done everything to do the valve clearances. It should only add 30-60 minutes depending on how many shims you need to adjust and how slow and careful you go. Once you've done it once it's quite easy to do.

Comment

It won't take 6 hours, but I find it a bit labour intensive, jacking up the car, undressing the plastic and ganging access to the crank bolt. With that all done, getting the valve cover off and actually checking the clearances won't be that work intensive.

Regards

Comment

If you’re already in there, might as well
                  E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

For a first timer, it will definitely take longer as they would be unfamiliar, should be extra careful not to drop a shim and make sure to put everything back correctly. The VCG can be reused multiple times over many years, so there is no need warrantying that as it would be a waste. You'll be fine with doing the valve adjustment later.

Comment

Thank you all for your input and advice! I really appreciate it!
                      - Jonathan

Comment

If they're all in spec, and you already have the valve cover off, 20 minutes is probably pessimistic (as in, if they're all in spec, it's really more like 5 min).

If they're out of spec, you should be doing them anyway (will take a bit longer at this point-- allow 5 min per valve if this is your first time ever doing it).

Either way, makes sense to do it while the valve cover is off.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          If they're all in spec, and you already have the valve cover off, 20 minutes is probably pessimistic (as in, if they're all in spec, it's really more like 5 min).

If they're out of spec, you should be doing them anyway (will take a bit longer at this point-- allow 5 min per valve if this is your first time ever doing it).

Either way, makes sense to do it while the valve cover is off.
                          Thank you for the reply - I wonder if I'm missing something though with it being 5 min - my biggest concern would be taking the fan + fan shroud and belt off to then move the motor by wrench to check each position, or is there an easier way to do it? This is one of the videos I saw do it -
                          - Jonathan

Comment

You don't need to remove the fan/shroud as far as i can remember. You can still turn the engine at the front (32mm), though it's tight, or you can turn the cam(s) (24mm)
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Whenever I have the VC opened, for a quick check, I measure the gap for one valve, then rocking that rocker and listen to the sound of impact, which can tell how far or close the gap is. Using the sound as a reference, I can check the rest of the valve clearance just by rocking the rockers. The sound will be louder for wider gap and softer for closer gap.

Comment

Working...
                              X