• Show
Clear All

What is this error code?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_181852.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	20913

I have a different DME than came with the car which would explain the first two codes in the list as they are EWS related. The last code is from me removing the fuel pump fuse to expell fuel before pulling the fuel rail.

The third code down, code (94) I do not understand. I cleared it early today and went on a drive and it came back.

I very recently installed the new DME to run CSL firmware for a MAP/CSL airbox.

"momentan vorhanden" = "currently available"

Last edited by Cubieman; 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

94 is inlet vanos adaptation.
    1 is fuel pump relay

Comment

Ouch. Don't like a code with anything to do with VANOS. What should I start checking?

Instagram

Comment

What are your current vanos adaptations?

Comment

Unfortunately I don't know, all I know is I have not touched/replaced any parts on the Vanos.
          This new DME I got has a tune on it, don't know if thats to blame as it did NOT throw this code before..

The only things I have done was removing the air rail and fuel rail yesterday. Thats why the fuel pump error is there, I removed the fuel pump fuse and let engine stall before removing fuel rail.

I want to say I saw this same error code 94 INPA after I messed with the fuel rail. Cranking car until it stalled with fuel fuse out.

I'm sorry, I'm quite green and don't fully understand what an adaptation even is..

Can I check for VANOS adaptations with your tool and/or INPA?

Here is one more bit of information: I mounted my map sensor between a throttle body and the air rail and the reading were oscillating. Like this:

Name:	20200502_213022.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	20699 Then I put the MAP in a different location and readings did this:

Name:	20200503_150327.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	20700

Could the change in MAP position/readings have anything to do with this code?
          Last edited by Cubieman; 05-04-2020, 06:11 AM.

Instagram

Comment

Use my tool (that you used for the fault codes) to tell me the vanos adapts

Comment

OK. I will do that when I get home from work and post it up. Thanks for making diagnostics easy for me Martyn!

Instagram

Comment

After clearing the fault a second time it came back after a short 10 minute drive.

Read adaptions real quick:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200504_094436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.6 KB ID:	20712
                Last edited by Cubieman; 05-04-2020, 07:00 AM.

Instagram

Comment

I'd probably clear the adaptations, faults and then run a vanos test.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                    I'd probably clear the adaptations, faults and then run a vanos test.
                    Could you briefly explain how I conduct a VANOS test?

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Could you briefly explain how I conduct a VANOS test?
                      It's a programmed test in BMW dealership software that test your VANOS system's performance in advancing/retarding the intake/exhaust cams. This is basically the one thing where you actually need DIS/GT1 (the old BMW dealership diagnostic software) to do correctly rather than just INPA. I believe it's possible for ISTA to do it, but you actually need a specific and very expensive (few hundred $$) ICOM cable to do it with ISTA.

There are ways of getting DIS for free and getting it set up on your computer, but it's kind of a pain to get it all running right.

I got it through https://www.pss-autosoft.net/ for $45, and he gives you everything you need and very thorough setup instructions. Also the guy that runs the site is excellent when it comes to customer service, if you encounter any problem he'll fix it and make sure everything's running properly. Well worth the $45 imo. But again, can be had for free if you want to deal with potential headache.

Once you have DIS installed, it's just a few menu options away to get to the VANOS test. DIS will also let you reset your VANOS adaptations (which, as far as I can tell, the only other way to do it as of right now is the Schwaben tool -- but the Schwaben tool can't run the actual VANOS test).

Comment

So Thrusday I'm going to get a VANOS test at local indy shop and I'll post results.

When I told them what was up they seemed surprised that there was NOT an CEL on with this code.

They said they have seen tunes that prevent lights from coming on when they should. Although I would think that would only be for O2 sensors, SAP, etc, not this.

I called and talked with Jim at Kassel who did the DME work, CSL and a tune. He asked if I told them if I had stock US cams for when they tuned it, I did tell them I had US cams.

In the event the tune did NOT account for US cams and thinks I'm running CSL profile cams that would certainly cause this error correct?

Instagram

Comment

Non CSL cams have different offsets to CSL cams so if your current vanos timing is very close to the adaptation limit and the correct vanos offset hasn't been set then it can cause vano related codes and can cause vanos test failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            So Thrusday I'm going to get a VANOS test at local indy shop and I'll post results.

When I told them what was up they seemed surprised that there was NOT an CEL on with this code.

They said they have seen tunes that prevent lights from coming on when they should. Although I would think that would only be for O2 sensors, SAP, etc, not this.

I called and talked with Jim at Kassel who did the DME work, CSL and a tune. He asked if I told them if I had stock US cams for when they tuned it, I did tell them I had US cams.

In the event the tune did NOT account for US cams and thinks I'm running CSL profile cams that would certainly cause this error correct?
                            If timed properly, the difference between the US and CSL cam offsets is close enough that it would not cause adaptions to fail.

Comment

Thought I would also mention since the CSL/tuned DME was installed at 4.5k (4.10 gears) it feels like the sport button is pushed.
                              That feels like throttle mapping to me, however I did tell them not to change the mapping. Its linear until 4.5k, then boom. Did not do this before however that is likely the tune.

EDIT:
                              Also the last few weeks I have noticed an intermittent "whirring" type of a sound from the engine bay upon start up, loud enough to hear with the windows up, but seems to go away quickly or I am not hearing once I get over idle. It almost sounds like an alternator bearing or maybe even a heat shield vibration. But maybe Vanos related.

So if the cams are not an issue either by being set incorrectly in the tune as CSL when I have US Spec. or that not mattering if that was the case as Terra said what could be up? 100 different things potentially?

How much will this VANOS test tell the techs as far as where to start looking?
                              Last edited by Cubieman; 05-04-2020, 12:35 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X