E46 M3 No Start, Fuel Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 No Start, Fuel Leak

Today, I decided to embark on the path of doing the intake camshaft position sensor. If you are not aware, it is a total pita.
    While doing this, I had to remove the fuel rail, and subsequently detach the hard line, from the rail itself. In doing so, I dropped the gasket, found it, cleaned it, and then mounted it. But I couldn’t get everything to sit flush, as a result I could not screw in both of the number 6 bolts.

So, I lifted the fuel rail back up to check that everything was properly placed, and in doing so, I lost the gasket again, but only this time into the abyss of the engine bay, where it could no longer be retrieved.

I went to my bench, and grabbed several gaskets, and checked which one fit the best, around the male end of the hard line, and the female end. (Note, it was not an identical fix and this could possible be the root cause.)

And then boom, I found one that fit and thought all it well. The whole time I struggled with getting number 5 to clamp on properly, and after the gasket, and a few muffled hammer taps(muffled with a wad of shop towels), i got everything seated properly.

Then, I got distracted with number 14 and thought that maybe I should replace the o rings on them. So, I gently removed one and then went back to the bench to compare the o-ring with the others that I had. But there were none that perfectly fit, so I put the original o-ring back on.

After reassembling everything, I went to start the car and I have a fuel leak and the car won’t start.

Can anyone help ?

(Moreover, I accidentally stripped the threads/ snapped the front number 6 bolt)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilt; 02-21-2023, 08:25 PM.

That number 6 bolt is critical in securing the fuel rail. Best to get the original o-ring number 8.

Edit: The number 6 bolt threads into the fuel rail IIRC, so it should be easy to get another fuel rail to fix that.
    Last edited by Slideways; 02-21-2023, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      That number 6 bolt is critical in securing the fuel rail. It will need a timesert or heilcoil.
      It’s in there, it just spins freely if I put a ratchet on it.

Comment

You don’t have the fuel rail seated properly and it sounds like the feed line oring is incorrect. Buy a new oring from bmw and try installing the injectors first then the rail. You may have to seat Uncategorized Groups first to clear the feed line

2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
          You don’t have the fuel rail seated properly and it sounds like the feed line oring is incorrect. Buy a new oring from bmw and try installing the injectors first then the rail. You may have to seat Uncategorized Groups first to clear the feed line

I think it’s the O-ring, but you have a valid point. Both number 6 bolts are screwed in, it’s just that one moves freely when I put a ratchet on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

I think it’s the O-ring, but you have a valid point. Both number 6 bolts are screwed in, it’s just that one moves freely when I put a ratchet on it.

1) is the leaking new oring fuel compatible? Get stock oring.
            2) when the Uncategorized Groups bolt backed out and lost, tons of air leak and engine running lean.
            it seems you don’t have the right skills patient for the job.
            Last edited by sapote; 02-22-2023, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The fuel rail is $50-100 used. A part like this should be securely mounted to seal all the injectors, fuel line and air rail. Luckily, it is a fairly cheap fix.

Comment

Werd. I always put some WD40 on the injector o-rings, get them somewhat seated and the hammer it down with a rubber mallet. Gently of course.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                  Werd. I always put some WD40 on the injector o-rings, get them somewhat seated and the hammer it down with a rubber mallet. Gently of course.
                  Is that why I have seen some fuel and air rails with dents on them? Bigjae coming in using a BFH lol
                  Last edited by Slideways; 02-22-2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Fixed ! And runs like a champ

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                      1) is the leaking new oring fuel compatible? Get stock oring.
                      2) when the Uncategorized Groups bolt backed out and lost, tons of air leak and engine running lean.
                      it seems you don’t have the right skills patient for the job.
                      I picked up a genuine o-ring today, and put it on and it worked.

*Correction, I didn’t snap the number 6 bolt, it just was spinning with no resistance. I used an impact and a wrench to push and pull it out and replaced it.

Skills, yeah probably lacking all the experience, I’m 17, but the car stills runs so maybe I’m not that dumb lol.

Last edited by Stilt; 02-22-2023, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

I picked up a genius o-ring today, and put it on and it worked.

*Correction, I didn’t snap the number 6 bolt, it just was spinning with no resistance. I used an impact and a wrench to push and pull it out and replaced it.

Skills, yeah probably not, I’m 17, but the car stills runs so maybe I’m not that dumb lol.

No...you are dumb...hahaha

Seriously, glad you got it fixed!

Comment

Working...
                        X