Another Oil Leak Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Oil Leak Question...

Picked up this '05 vert, 95k miles two owner San Diego sled last month. Noticed some oil seepage while on the lift while doing a PPI and thought oil pan gasket and maybe CPV o-ring.

While doing a valve adj, noticed a broken tab on the exhaust hub so pulled vanos to do the full monty rebuild (hub/oil ring/seals). I was surprised to see oil remnants so far up the front pax side of the motor...so here's a shot of the front (stab bar wiped clean) and the tell on the belly pan after 200 miles. Tensioner crush washer/vanos oil line replaced during rebuild and oil seep/drip remains. Will put eyes on the freeze plug but looking for that best guess factor given the drip locations on the belly pan.

I just hate the cleaning part just to put in some dye and try to trace it. Awaiting Blackstone report to see if I need to drop in new rod bearings (car wasn't tracked and doubt it even ever saw 8k rpm so we'll see) at which point the gasket would get refreshed. Given absence on drivers side, kind of ruling out the front main seal. I guess we'll see after a good douching and some dye. More to follow.

Oil build up on top of the AC compressor as well?

Mine was fixed with proper torque value on the upper chain tensioner - Before that, I saw constant weeping on the passenger side, and that was with the tensioner pretty snug, but not 50 Nm snug.

Also check the lower Vanos mounting bolt (Passenger side) and the seam around it.

Comment

I had oil all over my motor. Your best bet is to thoroughly clean it with degreaser, then drive it shortly, and do another visual inspection. It could be a number of things, but remember to start at the top and go down.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        I had oil all over my motor. Your best bet is to thoroughly clean it with degreaser, then drive it shortly, and do another visual inspection. It could be a number of things, but remember to start at the top and go down.
        Yeah...I know...fewer things more that I dislike than degreasing a motor when it isn't on a stand where I can get after it. Such a PITA. Oh well. It isn't going to clean itself so off I'll go....

Comment

If you suspect the freeze plug behind the VANOS solenoid I'd remove the solenoid pack and make sure to clean that up really well. If you replace the VCG, vanos gasket, solenoid plate, timing chain tensioner o-ring...not much else there to leak.

Comment

Working...
          X