Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does OEM suspension typically last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does OEM suspension typically last?

I've just bought a 2002 M3 from California and shipped it east. The car is in immaculate condition with 120k on the clock. It's a single owner car and the owner never tracked it; he was an older gentleman and kept the car safe in his garage. The car has OEM suspension which has not been replaced, but my indy shop said the car felt great. How much longer can I expect the OEM suspension to last? It'll eventually be on my radar but if it has 20k, maybe 50k more miles left in it I'm not going to replace it all just yet.

edit: many of the bushings (including RTABs) have been replaced.

Shocks: 50-60,000 miles.
    bushings/bearings: ~100,000 miles other than rtabs (50,000)

If original, it’s shot and then some.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Shocks: 50-60,000 miles.
      bushings/bearings: ~100,000 miles other than rtabs (50,000)

If original, it’s shot and then some.
      Hm. My shop (Rogue Engineering) said it felt great and it really does. Well see how long it can go for!

Comment

I replaced all the original stuff on mine at 138k. The struts were DONE. Bushings and ball joints were in surprisingly good nick, still had some life left in them, but it was time since I had everything off of it anyway to do rod bearings. PO had installed poly RTABs and front sway bar bushings, but everything else was 17 year old rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post

Hm. My shop (Rogue Engineering) said it felt great and it really does. Well see how long it can go for!
          If it feels good to you and a shop you trust backs that up, I'd just enjoy it.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

FWIW, when I did my shocks at 60k, they were absolutely toast, and I don't think the car was driven hard.

Comment

^My car crossed over to a 100k miles recently and I've now replaced every bushing, ball joint, and mount on the car. I started the process at 94,500 and I can say this was probably, with everything I've done, the maintenance/upgrade with the most significant reward. Car feels new, plain and simple.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                ^My car crossed over to a 100k miles recently and I've now replaced every bushing, ball joint, and mount on the car. I started the process at 94,500 and I can say this was probably, with everything I've done, the maintenance/upgrade with the most significant reward. Car feels new, plain and simple.
                I think it's easy to not realize they're shot until you've replaced them. They go gradually, so you're the slowly boiled frog of suspension wear. Plus, if you're coming from a "normal" car or SUV, worn out M3 bits can still feel "normal" (not RTABs).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I pulled off a set of stock dampers at 100k and the rears were done. Completely compressed them and they did not rebound. The fronts, however, worked just fine and were still serviceable. It's only one bolt to test the rear damper on the car.

Comment

It's not lifetime? The fluids are.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Just enjoy it for a bit then replace all components.
                      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

They are done! No question. Get something good to replace them.
                        2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post
                          I've just bought a 2002 M3 from California and shipped it east. The car is in immaculate condition with 120k on the clock.
                          https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-e46m3bushkit1

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            It's not lifetime? The fluids are.
                            LOL, right.

OP, you should assume 10 years / 100k miles is lifetime, whichever comes first — same as almost anything in the auto industry. “Lifetime” has a defined meaning. I think I did my rear struts at 70k at the 10 year mark. It’s not a “feel” thing... they’re toast, and will be leaking soon enough. Enjoy them for now while you save budget for the refresh.

Cheers,

maw

Comment

Working...
                            X