Group Buy: YFCM Carbon Driveshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

It uses the same flange and CV as the E46 M3 - just a different length for the E39 chassis.

I had 2x produced during the Winter group buy. I can source it year long, send me a PM.
    Thanks! What has been the feedback so far for the e39 users?

Why did BMW use a 2-piece drive shaft? Is it to make it a “softer” driving experience for the general population?

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post

Thanks! What has been the feedback so far for the e39 users?

Why did BMW use a 2-piece drive shaft? Is it to make it a “softer” driving experience for the general population?
      1 of 2 E39 units have been delivered, no feedback yet! I'd assume it will be similar to the E46 M3 considering the configuration and transmissions are similar. From gathering feedbacks of other E46 M3, the "bolt action rifle" feel I described in my review seems to echo the sentiments of others.

You can read the review here.

BMW has traditionally used 2 piece steel driveshafts with CV flanges at the back and a center support bearing. They have never used U joints AFAIK on M vehicles, which was the go-to solution for 1 piece aluminum driveshafts. I can only posture they felt that it wasn't suitable for durability, and comfort.

The technology to make a 1 piece carbon driveshaft for a street driven vehicle wasn't available until the F8x M chassis circa 2014. They had issues at first with flanges ungluing and issued a recall. They later ditched it as they needed the room with the smaller diameter steel driveshafts to fit emissions regulation equipment in the transmission tunnel when the LCI showed up.

You can read more about it here.
      Last edited by Epoustouflant; 08-22-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I have 1x in stock SMG unit for 2,200 US shipped.

Pictures of the actual unit, it's in the US. My ordering error! I spec'ed a SMG when he needed 6spd.

Send me a PM to get it.
        This got sold! Thanks guys.

Comment

As an interesting development, an E46 M3 to ZF 5spd unit is currently in development for a member.

Once it checks out, it will become a standard product.

Comment

As an interesting development, an E46 M3 to ZF 5spd unit is currently in development for a member.

Once it checks out, it will become a standard product.
            I'd be curious to see the weight difference of a 5 spd ZF + carbon DS vs 420g + carbon DS

Comment

Originally posted by sdwz_m3 View Post

I'd be curious to see the weight difference of a 5 spd ZF + carbon DS vs 420g + carbon DS
              It'll be relatively close from experience +/- 10 % with the type of length differences.

Comment

Originally posted by sdwz_m3 View Post

I'd guess you'd save a little bit since the 5MT shaft is .7" to 1" longer - so that's more CF vs steel. To nit pick...you could go with a 1" longer shaft and use a non-M guibo which would save a little more weight. Again, more carbon than rubber or steel.

Comment

Working...
                X