Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random throttle cut

Problem:

Sometimes when getting off a red light I'll get this random lurching effect like cutting of power then throttle then power cut. Almost like traction control is firing off. This doesn't happen very much but seems to occur when I'm more aggressive. My traction control is on.

This also occurs when I drop off a ledge or a bump also when getting off the line. Example like exiting a parking lot and accidentally dropped slightly off the curb because I was trying to angle it too hard.

This has happened on every car I've had to a point, SMG or not. My only thought is that I might have been too aggressive on the start and my foot is moving off the throttle which causes the drop in acceleration then back on and off, etc. Which makes it look like I'm just gas, stop, gas, stop. Maybe some vibration to my mad sensor?
    Last edited by simonnim; 03-05-2023, 03:18 PM.

Sounds kinda normal to me. Mine is a bit more likely in the first minute or two after a cold start. Throttle pedal has quite a light touch so essentially your foot is moving off throttle when car surges then when throttle backs off, car jolts the other way resulting in your foot giving more throttle again. Process repeats and you end up with the kangaroo hopping.

Either back all the way off or give it some more shoe in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
      Sounds kinda normal to me. Mine is a bit more likely in the first minute or two after a cold start. Throttle pedal has quite a light touch so essentially your foot is moving off throttle when car surges then when throttle backs off, car jolts the other way resulting in your foot giving more throttle again. Process repeats and you end up with the kangaroo hopping.

Either back all the way off or give it some more shoe in my experience.
      I like the term kangaroo hopping! Yeah, I thought it might be that because it has happened on other M cars I've had.

But I also thought it might be MAF sensor vibrating or something, but it would only make sense off the curb drop. Then I thought maybe a ground point is off causing ignition to cut at random, but this would happen more often.

Comment

I had this exact symptom after moving to a CSL box, though its a 6mt. I have driven SMG cars that had similar jerkiness years ago, though not sure I would describe them as identical, but every similar. I have to slip the clutch in 1st and sometimes 2nd to alleviate the issue, hoping the HTE tune minimizes it even more....

Comment

How are your engine mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
            I had this exact symptom after moving to a CSL box, though its a 6mt. I have driven SMG cars that had similar jerkiness years ago, though not sure I would describe them as identical, but every similar. I have to slip the clutch in 1st and sometimes 2nd to alleviate the issue, hoping the HTE tune minimizes it even more....
            It happened with my m roadster before and, an e46 M3 6mt vert from factory, and a e60 m5 smg. But has happened on this the most so far.

Engine mounts are replaced when I did rod bearings within last 2000 miles
            Last edited by simonnim; 03-06-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

A video of the issue would help out a lot. Are you driving in Sport mode? That is the only thing that would cause a jumpy response if you are not smooth with the throttle input.

Comment

The light doesn't always come on. Turn DSC off when you want to have fun.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  A video of the issue would help out a lot. Are you driving in Sport mode? That is the only thing that would cause a jumpy response if you are not smooth with the throttle input.
                  Not sport mode. I'll see if I can get a video when it's not raining.

Comment

Working...
                  X