OEM CSL Diffuser Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM CSL Diffuser Quality

I purchased an OEM CSL diffuser through ECS back in August and just received it a couple weeks ago. I was quite disappointed in the quality of the carbon fiber, it has quite a few cosmetic defects. While I know 1x1 carbon can be tricky I figured for the price, and it just went up again, and it being OEM it would be close to flawless. There's quite a few air bubbles, distortions in the weave and there's even 3 different layers showing. I attached only a few pictures, but there are more blemishes than just these. I'm currently discussing with ECS what can be done about this but I was wondering if this is the expected quality of the OEM parts nowadays?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-10-2023, 01:55 PM.

Damn. This is some no fucks given type finish. That’s really unfortunate.
    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Unfortunately, some of more current batches (after 2017ish) can have defects. It seems that the QC is lacking for these older parts. You should try and get another if you are set on OE. The 90k LSB M3 that sold on BaT had a OE CSL diffuser that was short on the ends leaving a gap where it met the bumper cutout.

Comment

We've been seeing issues on all sort of parts. Unfortunately, it is not a surprise. I started seeing when I was buying interior parts like center console, pillars. I would return it. thegenius46m Buys a lot of new BMW parts, and is constantly returning them or asking vendor/dealer to confirm condition before purchase.

My new dead pedal/footrest (2020 iirc) looked like a child painted it.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Won't be noticeable when installed!
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Some minor imperfections here and there; it's like orange peel paint on our cars. You'll survive dude. Get it painted, slap it on your car you can enjoy its looks.

Comment

Funny. When I purchased my car, I was told it has an OE CSL diffuser installed. Looking at the diffuser, I didn’t believe it seeing as the weave wasn’t perfect. Looks like I do have an OE piece after all. Mine looks roughly the same, maybe a bit better. ECS (should) be willing to swap out the piece factoring in the defects. I’ve seen them exchange other parts for much less.

Comment

For what you probably paid for that, I'd try and exchange it. Across the board, auto parts quality has taken a dump. I see it at work, and I see it in what I buy for this car and others I own. Blame Covid, governments, lack of work ethic, unskilled immigrant low wage labor in the factories, whatever, it's a crap situation we have to deal with.

Comment

How much did you pay in total? Good thing ECS has such legendary customer service LOL

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                  Blame Covid, governments, lack of work ethic, unskilled immigrant low wage labor in the factories
                  you must be fun at parties
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I'd suggest bringing this to a body shop - you're going to get it painted and they will reclear the lower section most likely. The weave deformation is to be expected using 1x1 weave on complex curvature. You're probably going to be disappointed in a replacement version, the same will most likely happen.

Comment

The imperfections on the clear can probably be fixed, but if the weave inconsistencies bother you, you might be better off returning or selling the OE diffuser and buying a CarboProject diffuser at 1/3 of the price tbh.
                      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I’m also surprised that Karbonius doesn’t make diffusers. I bet their diffusers would be better than new OE.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                          I’m also surprised that Karbonius doesn’t make diffusers. I bet their diffusers would be better than new OE.
                          No one is immune to clear coat issues.

The paints used today are massively different than in 2001. The low VOC content, water based formulations and the ever increasing need for body shop productivity driven by insurance companies make base and clear coats extremely finicky.

Here's my CSL Karbonius roof which we had to entirely reclear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC5424-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	209639
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC5442.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	209640
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC5427.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.0 KB ID:	209641
                          Last edited by Epoustouflant; 03-14-2023, 05:59 PM.

Comment

R I P

Comment

The only one of those pics I consider bad is the crack. I'd return it for that. The others don't look bad and can be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X