Some Objective Data About SMG Motor Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stepstools View Post

Thanks for the info, didn't even know about MLReng. Looks like their motor is cheaper than the one I got too. Overall their prices seem really good, wish I had known about them sooner! I would love to see some people with the MLReng motor and the Burkhart motor do the same test that I did and share the data.

I'm sure my seals are starting to go from age, but honestly my pump is working great right now with the new motor installed. My accumulator preload pressure is getting near the bottom of the allowable range, so I'll probably rebuild the whole unit when it's time to replace the accumulator. Hopefully in a few years I'll actually have a garage to work in.

Speaking of the accumulator, does anyone know if it's possible to have that refurbished and refilled? I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but I'm willing to bet there's a hydraulics shop somewhere out there that would do it.
    The motor may work fine right now but by allowing the internal seals to leak the motor will activate too often increasing the ware of the motor significantly. Typically if you can get 6 shifts in between hearing the motor activate there won’t be any internal external leaks. If you can only get 2-5 shifts in between motor activating, your unit is on the way out. Keep in mind this test will need to be done with the hydraulic fluid at operating temperature.

as for the accumulator, there is no way to recharge unfortunately.

Comment

Nice test.

Stupid question alert: does relocation of the pump to the cooler location = longer life, or is this just [reasonable, educated] speculation? Is it any better than fresh fluid every couple years?

I know there’s likely no imperative data but learned thoughts are encouraged.

Oh, and who has the best relocation kit?

I’m more likely to do the relocation and fluid changes for peace of mind, so that I don’t have to do the pump for the same reason (or at all).

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
        Nice test.

Stupid question alert: does relocation of the pump to the cooler location = longer life, or is this just [reasonable, educated] speculation? Is it any better than fresh fluid every couple years?

I know there’s likely no imperative data but learned thoughts are encouraged.

Oh, and who has the best relocation kit?

I’m more likely to do the relocation and fluid changes for peace of mind, so that I don’t have to do the pump for the same reason (or at all).

maw
        The best IMO is what I have but it is NLA. I would encourage to you to look for something that orientates the pump in this manner as all the important bits (other than the accumulator) are easily accessible. I believe Burkhart's bracket orientates it in this manner. Temps are roughly 20 degrees cooler in the drug bin so in theory less heat should equate to a longer running life.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Great data. Dont suppose you measured the current draw?

Comment

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post
            Great data. Dont suppose you measured the current draw?
            I didn't. Is there a way to measure that in INPA/ISTA that I haven't found yet or do you have to do it with a multimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

The best IMO is what I have but it is NLA. I would encourage to you to look for something that orientates the pump in this manner as all the important bits (other than the accumulator) are easily accessible. I believe Burkhart's bracket orientates it in this manner. Temps are roughly 20 degrees cooler in the drug bin so in theory less heat should equate to a longer running life.

Wow, that is such a clean looking install, as if it should have been there from the factory...............
              2006 ///M3 ZCP

Comment

Working...
              X