Body Shop Advice (Los Angeles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Shop Advice (Los Angeles)

Well, after 5 years (and only weeks after paying the car off) I've finally had a small accident. Luckily my car was the only one involved, and it was pretty minor. But I need a new passenger side front fender, maybe a new front bumper, and there are some pretty minor scrapes on passenger door and rear quarter, so, we're talking paint. I think it would be very unlikely that there's frame damage or anything, just a very dented in front fender, and front bumper isn't hanging on properly on that side (currently have it bungee tied for drivability).

I would like to avoid insurance and see how reasonably I can take care of it myself, but I also want to do a good job of restoring the car to how it should look (I get that these are competing demands). It seems really hard to figure out who to go to for estimates and to find a place that's willing to work with me to meet my needs and give me options (or to tell it to me straight about what needs to happen). Does anyone have any recommendations for a place (or places) to start in LA? I'm based in NELA, but willing to travel for the right place

Thanks for any advice!!
    Last edited by ATB88; 03-19-2023, 03:42 PM.

2M, & Kings. They're a little south but know our cars really well..

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! Where/which is the Kings that you're referring to? There are apparently many different body shops around LA with "Kings" in the name

Comment

Comment

Subscribed. Kings is supposed to be good. I don't imagine they will be cheap. But any cheap body shop is going to suck.
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Kings Autobody 👍🏻
            Really good work and not some pretentious shop. Owner very easy to work with.
            If wondering if he knows the E46 M3.. he races an E46 M3 and owns/has collection of over 20 E46 M3s .
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 03-28-2023, 11:03 AM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Checking them out for an estimate this week! Bracing my wallet, tho.

Comment

Our body shop has been working on all makes and models for over 15 years - from E30 M3s to GT3s. We repair all foreign and domestic makes and models at our 13,500 square foot Indoor facility and sell high quality OEM and aftermarket parts for most BMW models.

They work on tons paint and body for M cars and they do other collision work as well. The owner Kevin is a good dude (and he has a 997 GT3). The painted and installed my CSL front and hamann wing. Tell him Jim with the LSB e46 sent you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                  https://absautorepair.com/

They work on tons paint and body for M cars and they do other collision work as well. The owner Kevin is a good dude (and he has a 997 GT3). The painted and installed my CSL front and hamann wing. Tell him Jim with the LSB e46 sent you.
                  So, I got a great quote from Kevin a few months ago, and he told me to just drive and enjoy the car until I got tired of looking at it, then bring it in. Got in touch today and apparently he's super slammed and not taking on new work :/

Bummer, as it seems like they're one of the best shops for e46s.

Next on the list is Kings Autobody, but that's all the way down in Huntington Beach :/

Before I shlep all the way down there from Echo Park for an estimate, does anyone have any other recommendations for any good shops for E46 paint and body work in LA???

Comment

Try scandinavian coachcraft. Super easy to work with, they refinished my carbon roof on the M6 and have glasurit if you ask for it. Every other shop was scared to touch it but it was no problem for them at all. Ask for Tom.
                    Last edited by Icecream; 10-03-2023, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                      Next on the list is Kings Autobody, but that's all the way down in Huntington Beach :/

Before I shlep all the way down there from Echo Park for an estimate, does anyone have any other recommendations for any good shops for E46 paint and body work in LA???
                      Nope, just go to King’s Autobody. Tell him you got sent from the forum(mention me, local Silver M3). He’s an advid E46 owner, M3 collector and M3 race car driver.
                      Last edited by old///MFanatic; 10-04-2023, 04:29 PM.
                      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

So, I got a great quote from Kevin a few months ago, and he told me to just drive and enjoy the car until I got tired of looking at it, then bring it in. Got in touch today and apparently he's super slammed and not taking on new work :/

Kevin has had a hood from me since August 9th 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m sure it will turn out nice but I’m not super thrilled with how long it’s taking.
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Kevin has had a hood from me since August 9th 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m sure it will turn out nice but I’m not super thrilled with how long it’s taking.
                          Yeaah from the tone of his texts it sounds like things are very backed up. He ignored any questions I asked about how far out he's booking or when he might conceivably be able to work on my car if I was willing to wait, so, :P . But silver lining for you, that means he's focusing on the work he's got on his plate right now rather than making his backlog worse, which is the right thing to do. Bummer, though, sounds like he does great work and I just wish I gave him my car back in April.
                          Last edited by ATB88; 10-03-2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Yeah SoCal body shops always have more insurance work (bigger dollar$ work) fall/winter.

Comment

In the LA scene (and likely every major metropolitan city for that matter) unless you have a personal connection to the shop via a friend or family member or have 10K+ followers on IG and the shop owner happens to know you or follow you - you will be treated like a peasant and be told to be grateful for the work they are willing to do for you.

It will take longer than you think. It will cost more than you estimated. The finished product will likely fall short of your expectations and you will wonder what the outcome would have been if you had tried someone else from the list. You will try somewhere else from the list with a similar outcome. Rinse and repeat.

Body shops make way too much money running up the tab on insurance work to give a shit about our CSL trunks and EU bumpers. The bar is too high for our expectations vs their reality.

'02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X